Holy Moly -- Residual Electricity????

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Prisoner at War, Nov 5, 2007.

  1. No. YOU are trivial, bitch.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 19, 2007

  2. Prisoner at War

    jimp Guest

    Yet another foul mouthed little snot...

    jimp, Nov 19, 2007

  3. Prisoner at War

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Thus proving beyond all reasonable doubt that you are imagining content in
    my posts that simply isn't there.

    I think the kill file beckons. Ah 'tis done.

    M.I.5¾, Nov 19, 2007
  4. Prisoner at War

    Androcles Guest

    :
    : : >
    : > : > : On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:32:50 -0000, "M.I.5¾"
    : > :
    : > : >
    : > : >: > : >>
    : > : >> : > : >> :
    : > : >> : : > : >> : >
    : > : >> : > : > : >> : > :
    : > : >> : > : : > : >> : > : > How do you dream up all these ridiculous things?"M.I.5¾"
    : > : >> : > : >
    : > : >> : > : > : > : >> : > : >
    : > : >> : > : >
    : > : >> : > : >
    : > : >> : > : > >: > : >> : > : > >> What type of capacitor has to cool off before it accepts
    : > : >> charge?
    : > : >> : > : >
    : > : >> : > : > > A: A faulty one.
    : > : >> : > : >
    : > : >> : > : > > It is well a known problem particularly among certain
    types
    : > of
    : > : >> : > : > > electrolytic capacitors. The usual problem is that the
    EPR
    : > : >> : > (Effective
    : > : >> : > : > > parallel resistance) of the capacitor falls alarmingly as
    : > it
    : > : >> warms
    : > : >> : > up
    : > : >> : > : > > rendering it ineffective as a capacitor.
    : > : >> : > :
    : > : >> : > : Two charts of electrolytic capacitor failure modes. Check out
    : > : >> : > : Table 2 here:
    : > : >> : > :
    : > http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf/ABA0000/ABA0000TE4.pdf
    : > : >> : > :
    : > : >> : > : Operating at high temperature is shown to cause failure
    : > : >> : > : by increase in leakage current.
    : > : >> : > :
    : > : >> : > : or Figure 2.10 here:
    : > : >> : > :
    : > : >> : >
    : > : >>
    : >
    http://etd.gatech.edu/theses/available/etd-04082007-083102/unrestricted/imam_afroz_m_200705_phd.pdf
    : > : >> : > :
    : > : >> : > : Operating at high temperature is shown to cause failure
    : > : >> : > : by loss of effective resistance (i.e. increased leakage).
    : > : >> : > :
    : > : >> : > : -----------
    : > : >> : > :
    : > : >> : > : Indeed. In general electrolytic capacitors are rated at
    either
    : > 85°C
    : > : >> or
    : > : >> : > : 105°C. The former is obviously cheaper than the latter and
    : > that's
    : > : >> often
    : > : >> : > : what gets used as such supplies don't run that warm.
    However,
    : > even
    : > : >> if
    : > : >> : > : operated below 85°C, the former type are considerably more
    : > : >> unreliable
    : > : >> : > than
    : > : >> : > : the latter.
    : > : >> : >
    : > : >> : > Oh, so the latter break down at temperatures below 85°C because
    : > : >> : > they are less reliable than the former cheaper ones... very
    : > logical.
    : > : >> : >
    : > : >> :
    : > : >> : How you managed to arrive at that conclusion is anyone's guess.
    : > : >>
    : > : >> It's quite simple. Here's a table, you like tables.
    : > : >>
    : > : >> ------------------- Former ------------------
    : > Latter ----------------
    : > : >> < 85°C reliable unreliable
    : > : >> > 85°C unreliable reliable
    : > : >> _____________________________________________
    : > : >>
    : > : >
    : > : >Don't be pillock all your life, have a day off occasionally. I
    neither
    : > said
    : > : >that nor inferred it. I stated that even when operated below 85°C,
    : > : >capacitors rated at 85°C are more unreliable than those rated at
    105°C.
    : > : >
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : With all due respect, are we on a crusade to prove who is right or to
    : > : help the now confused OP ?? Do you think the OP gave up on us? I
    : > : know at this point if I were him, I would have.
    : >
    : > If the OP doesn't have his answer by now he's in serious trouble.
    : > This M.I.5¾ character seems to hallucinate that reliability is
    : > a function of temperature without testing for failure rates
    : > of 105°C rated capacitors at sub-zero temperatures, which
    : > is the case for some military aircraft.
    : >
    :
    : Thus proving beyond all reasonable doubt that you are imagining content in
    : my posts that simply isn't there.
    :
    : I think the kill file beckons. Ah 'tis done.

    Always nice to see a chicken shit duck out without proving his claim.

    "However, even if operated below 85°C, the former type are considerably more
    unreliable than the latter." - Chicken Shit "MI5" and a bit.

    Androcles, Nov 19, 2007
  5. Prisoner at War

    krw Guest

    I'll agree that regulation is somewhat different, but this isn't
    regulation.
    ....smoothing the voltage waveform.
    I highly doubt it.
    DIfferent requirements => different filters. In case you hadn't
    noticed, there aren't many tubes being used anymore either.
    ...and your point is? It's really just a different calculation.
    Perhaps your designs were trivial, however not all are.
    Try a multi-kA +1.25V/-3V three-phase phase-controlled regulator if
    you want start-up problems. ...but I still don't know what this has
    to do with the topic at hand,

    krw, Nov 20, 2007