holy shit! Xbox360 GPU has 332M transistors! that's more than PS3's Nvidia RSX GPU

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Guest, May 21, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It turns out that the Xbox 360 GPU which is now known as 'Xenos' (not R500
    anymore) is an absolute friggin monster. the GPU package contains two
    seperate dies. the total amount of transistors for the entire GPU-system
    is 332 million. the main 'parent' GPU has 232 million transistors. the
    "daughter' die, which contains the eDRAM plus other logic for z-check,
    anti-aliasing, and other stuff, has the other 100 million transistors.

    this is a DAMN SIGHT more than previously reported. on May 12th, IGN
    reported that the Xbox360 GPU had 150 million transistors. this was very
    surprising, given that, ATI's 1+ year old R420 (Radeon X800) had 160
    million.

    but *now* that it has been revealed that Xbox GPU 'Xenos' has an 332
    million transistors, it can be said that this graphics architecture
    surpasses Nvidia's RSX 'Reality Synthesizer' GPU in Playstation3, which only
    has 300 million transistors.

    it seems Microsoft and ATI have built a real beast of a GPU here.

    here is the article confirming Xbox360 GPU graphics subsystem has 332M
    transistors

    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p3.html
    " Lastly, we were sent updated spec numbers on the Xbox's numbers, and we
    spoke with Microsoft's Vice President of hardware, Todd Holmdahl, about the
    Xbox 360's final transistor count.

    Another bit of information sent our way is the final transistor count for
    Xbox 360's graphics subset. The GPU totals 332 million transistors, which is
    spit between the two separate dies that make up the part. The parent die is
    the "main" piece of the GPU, handling the large bulk of the graphics
    rendering, and is comprised of 232 million transistors. The daughter die
    contains the system's 10MB of embedded DRAM and its logic chip, which is
    capable of some additional 3D math. The daughter die totals an even 100
    million transistors, bringing the total transistor count for the GPU to 232
    million. "

    Guest, May 21, 2005

  2. Not very impressive considering how much money MS has to burn on the gaming
    industry. RARE is a good sample of wasting money, and the 360 should be
    around the speeds of the PS3. Both consoles are going for pure power and
    graphics while Nintendo seems to have something different in mind for the
    next-gen that will not make them just another clone.

    Ice Wipe Inc., May 21, 2005

  3. Guest

    Conor Guest

    What a fuckin idiot.

    The number of transistors means diddly squat. Compare the number of
    transistors in both the Intel and AMD CPUs then tell me why an AMD
    Athlon XP2500 running at 1.83GHz trounces an Intel P4 running at
    2.5GHz.

    Conor, May 21, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    looks like YOU are the fucking idiot.

    ATI has been doing more with less. they've been getting better performance
    from their designs with fewer transistors.

    R300 / Radeon 9700's 107M transistors vs NV30 / GeForceFX 5900's 125M
    transistors.

    and even though Nvidia's NV40 / GeForce 6800U have 222M transistors, ATI's
    R420 / Radeon X800 XT with its 160M transistors does a good job of keeping
    up with Nvidia's much larger part in terms of performance, even though
    Nvidia has a more advanced shader model.

    ATI is to Nvidia what AMD is to Intel.

    and now things are only going to be worse for Nvidia, as its PS3 GPU is
    probably going to get spanked by the ATI GPU that has more overall
    transistors and blazing fast embedded memory bandwidth, which PS3's RSX
    has none.

    Guest, May 21, 2005
  5. Guest

    Boody Bandit Guest

    bwhahahahahahaha!
    Stop it, you're killing me!

    Boody Bandit, May 21, 2005
  6. Guest

    Boody Bandit Guest

    Sorry Ice Wipe but you sound like Miyamoto's Sock Puppet.
    You must've heard his interview because you are echoing him to a T.
    Man, I'm starting to think Nintendo has brainwashing/cult powers.

    Boody Bandit, May 21, 2005
  7. Guest

    Clas Mehus Guest

    MS don't earn money on the hardware for the Xbox, but games and
    service. Remember that MS makes money for each game sold, not just
    their own Xbox-titles.

    Clas Mehus, May 21, 2005
  8. Guest

    FeMaster Guest

    I'm assuming you don't know much about electronics, do you? More
    transistors doesn't mean something is going to be faster or better that
    something with less... One thing it DOES mean is that it has the potential
    to run HOTTER... Aside from that it doesn't mean jack... Hell, more
    transistors might mean that it is WORSE that the one with less... The more
    there are, the more parts a signal must flow through, which could
    potentially create a device that is SLOWER...

    Oh, nice job on the cross-posting BTW... What a waist! So many unrelated
    groups it's not even funny!

    FeMaster, May 23, 2005