holy smokes; AMD-ATI R600 ( Radeon X2900XTX ) GPU Technology Demo; "Ruby 4"

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Radeon350, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. Radeon350

    Radeon350 Guest

    decent quality video
    http://www.hexus.tv/show.php?show=66

    low quality video

    looks better than Nvidia's "Adrianne" tech demo for the G80 ~ GeForce
    8800 GTX

    R600 / Radeon X2900XTX is a friggin' 512-bit MONSTER that will
    provide bandwidth of over 100 GB/s even with lower-end GDDR3 memory.
    According to Wikipedia, R600's bandwidth ranges from 115.2 GB/s to 160
    GB/s depending on the memory options.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R600

    some of the technical details of the Ruby 4 demo:

    "AMD Ruby 4 (R600) demo is impressive

    CeBIT 007 Ruby learns to ski with nice triangle budget

    By Theo Valich in Hanover: Friday 16 March 2007, 07:20
    YOU CAN FIND R600 boards in hidden places of CeBIT, but we expected
    that.

    AMD is faithfully protecting the possible leakage of pictures with
    marking all of the boards with name of the partner it was intended
    for, only problem there was the colour of the markings.

    We do not see the reason for this paranoid behaviour, since all of the
    important R600 pictures ended up on websites a long time ago. We have
    seen UFO, GDDR3 boards floating around with a "subject-to-change"
    GF8800-looking triple-heatpipe cooler in red colour, but we'll leave
    it at that. The theme of this story is Ruby, after all.

    We have seen the demo running couple of times and this poor hack has
    to say that it looks quite impressive, especially when it comes to
    snow itself or fur on Ruby's winter outfit. There is also a matter of
    realistic blend of textures on her face and skeleton animation. You
    could easily imagine that Ruby is a real person, judging by insane
    amount of detail that went into a creation of this demo.

    Main render target resolution is not full HD or 1920x1080 (or 1200)
    pixels, but rather a baseline 1280x720p with HDR in FP16 format and
    MSAA turned on to 4X. Anisotropic filtering should be set at high in
    all cases, but this resolution left us confused a bit. It seems that
    ATI will push the CrossFire two-board package for full-HD resolution.
    This is mainly due to texture memory budget, since current demo is
    eating 680 MB. Since ATI is only having 1GB boards around, you can
    easily calculate that remaining 320MB would not be sufficient for the
    1080p frame buffer and decent framerates. However, do not think that
    there are issues with GPU themselves, since virtual memory addressing
    is working just nicely on both G80 and R600 chips.

    Scenes in the demo have between two and two and a half million
    triangles, depending on scene complexity. Ruby is around 200K
    triangles and it uses 128 morph targets for facial animation and
    around 200 bones for skinning animation. When it comes to the face of
    ATI's bride, animation was done by filming a face of the real-world
    Ruby (actress) with a high-definition camera. After the filming, plain
    vanilla video was analysed and processed step-by-step, using highly
    complex facial recognition software in order to extract facial
    animation data. After this video session, Ruby's face alone got
    layered with 15 different textures, and placed in a scene generated by
    procedurally generated snow. Snow simulation is processed entirely on
    a GPU and can be dynamically melted or amplified to increase the snow
    cover (and the snow effect while Ruby is doing a snowboard scene in
    Janica Kostelic style).

    When it comes to the fur on Ruby's collar, this is no longer simple
    vertex-generated fur with predefined movement, but rather a simulated
    with a physics model, also done on the GPU."

    Radeon350, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Radeon350

    Radeon350 Guest

    download the FLV version of the video:
    http://www.hexus.tv/shows/cebit07/ATi-demo.flv

    if you need a FLV player:
    http://www.download.com/FLV-Player/3000-2139_4-10467081.html

    R600 technology slides

    http://mr-63596.v-mirror.spb.ru/news/img/07124551.jpg
    http://mr-63596.v-mirror.spb.ru/news/img/07124607.jpg
    http://mr-63596.v-mirror.spb.ru/news/img/07124618.jpg
    http://mr-63596.v-mirror.spb.ru/news/img/07124631.jpg
    http://mr-63596.v-mirror.spb.ru/news/img/07124640.jpg

    "Ruby 4" demo screenshots

    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5304.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5492.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5493.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5494.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5496.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5497.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5498.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5499.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5509.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5510.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5511.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5512.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5513.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5514.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5515.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5516.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5518.jpg[
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5519.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5520.jpg
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/Imgp5521.jpg

    Radeon350, Mar 21, 2007

  3. Radeon350

    John Lewis Guest

    Holy SMOKES is right. The part is in redesign again on 65nm. The 65nm
    yield is pitiful. Rumor from Cebit says that less than 20,000 total of
    the 'current design' will be made available for shipment starting in
    May ... not clear whether that is the 80nm heat-monster or the 65nm
    poor yield version.

    And the date for full unfettered production is unknown. Shades of the
    X1800-series fiasco all over again. I'm sure that nVidia must be
    rather amused by this hiccup. The nV partners have now shipped
    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Mar 21, 2007
  4. Radeon350

    First of One Guest

    First of One, Mar 21, 2007

  5. GREAT! I can see it now. 1TB HDD required and HD-DVD drive to handle all the
    damn high resolution textures. Not to mention needing super fast HDD to
    cache the textures. I am assuming the bottom end card will come with 1GB of
    RAM?

    HockeyTownUSA, Mar 22, 2007
  6. Radeon350

    DRS Guest

    [...]
    Just as a matter of interest, where did that figure come from?

    DRS, Mar 22, 2007
  7. Radeon350

    Magnulus Guest

    It is indeed impressive. The graphics look on par with the movie
    Final Fantasy.

    Still, NVidia has the better hardware and products, and I doubt that
    ATI will change
    this. ATI lost alot of momentum with the X1900 flaws NVidia's only
    real issue is their
    drivers aren't so great for Vista. They've fallen behind in the
    driver race. Still,
    it is leaps better than what ATI was doing a few years ago.

    Magnulus, Mar 22, 2007

  8. while the demo does look impressive, in no way does it look even close
    to the
    movie Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. If GPUs were capable of FF:
    TSW in realtime, there wouldn't be much point in developing ever-more
    powerful GPUs.
    That level of graphics won't happen in realtime until probably the
    middle to later part of the next decade, if that soon.

    AirRaid Mach 2.5, Mar 22, 2007
  9. Radeon350

    No One Guest

    Not to mention that AMD is getting their asses handed to them by Intel.
    I like the competition, so I hope AMD and ATI can get better.

    Drivers for Vista seem to be a huge problem with all cards. Micorsoft
    deserves a few lumps here.

    No One, Mar 23, 2007