Home Development Kit and Example SW Project.

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Dan, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Hi,

    I am currently looking to advance my embedded development skills and would
    like to develop some software at home...

    Can anybody suggest a development kit that I could use for home
    development - Such as a microprocessor with peripheral support such as a
    UART, RAM, possibly FLASH etc... I would also like the device to program
    the microprocessor. Preferably it would support C/C++ and be fairly cheap.

    That leads on to my next question - Any ideas what software I could develop?
    Something interesting that I could use at home - Possibly with mobile
    phones??

    Thank you.

    Dan.

    Dan, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Dan

    HRO Guest

    Have a look at Texas Instruments MSP430 series. I recently started using
    them for hobby projects and for about $20 you'r up and running since the
    complete development environment is free (mspgcc, mspgdb etc.) Olimex.com
    has some starter kits and header boards plus a very low price JTAG
    programmer.

    Henrik

    HRO, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Dan

    Unbeliever Guest

    Dontronics (Don is frequently - and sometimes justly - accused of blowing
    his own horn in this group) has some excellent and cheap kits for the AVR,
    which I'd recommend as a good beginners processor with versions with all the
    stuff you'd like - except C++ and you'll soon change your mind about that on
    a limited memory processor.

    Check out www.dontronics.com.

    Cheers,
    Alf

    Unbeliever, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Dan

    Brian Murtha Guest

    http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com (kits from $139)
    http://www.zworld.com
    http://www.imaginetools.com ($99 dollar kit)

    Brian Murtha, Mar 3, 2004
  5. My current project involves a Zilog Z8 Encore and I'm doing initial
    development using their evaluation kit (P/N Z8F08200100KIT). This
    includes a board, wall wart, "smart" cable to download code from a
    serial port, and CD with docs, assembler/compiler, and an IDE. The
    board includes a ZF0822 (includes GPIO, flash controller, four 10-bit
    ADCs, UART, I2C and SPI controllers, and two counter/timers), a MAX3222
    driving a serial port, three LEDs, two pushbutton switches (one is
    reset), and a prototyping area.

    The price from DigiKey and Mouser for all of this is a rediculously low
    $40 and all I needed to get up and running a demo program was a serial
    cable! This has got to be the best value of its kind I have ever seen!
    Check it out: http://www.zilog.com/products/partdetails.asp?id=Z8F08200100KIT
    Connect a thermistor to one of the ADCs and code a thermometer. Drive a
    relay with a GPIO line and you've got a thermostat. Write a serial
    interface and it's a programmable thermostat. There are enough real
    world problems to solve in there to keep you busy for a while yet it's
    not so tough that you'll never get there.
    You're welcome.
    BTW, I'm no Zilog shill. I'm just amazed at this thing's bang/buck ratio.

    Michael R. Kesti, Mar 3, 2004