    Any answers, links, URL's are appreciated!

    TIA

    -John

    Johnny, Feb 26, 2007

  2. Johnny

    mike Guest

    You can buy an adapter that hooks it up to the IDE cable on your
    desktop. But for not much more money you can buy a whole USB external
    case. They show up regularly for cheap at bensbargains.net

    mike, Feb 26, 2007

  3. Here is a link to an adaptor that I keep in my PC tool kit.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-USB-2-0-to-...9QQihZ002QQcategoryZ41911QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    There are many different adaptors available similar to this one that
    converts SATA/3.5 IDE/2.0 Laptop style hard drives to USB. Watch out for
    the versions that do not include an external transformer that is used to
    power the SATA or 3.5 IDE drives. Those with out a power transformer
    sometimes try to use multiple USB ports to get enough power.

    Like Mike said, there are many USB adaptor cases that are specifically made
    for laptop drives. They can be found on Ebay or many other places but if
    you don't need to keep the drive in an external case the adaptor cable is
    the way to go as it can be used on with your current laptop drive or other
    types in the future.

    GlowingBlueMist, Feb 26, 2007
  4. External USB cases for laptop drives are under $10. IDE connectors are
    under $5 but are a LOT more trouble to use.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 26, 2007
  5. Johnny

    Johnny Guest

    Can you show me a sample External USB drive container on bensbargain?
    that way I know if I'm in
    the right neightboorhood when I get there.

    Thanks.

    John

    Johnny, Feb 26, 2007
  6. Johnny

    mike Guest

    It's a bargain tracking service. Changes hourly. YOu have to keep
    checking in.
    YOu can find 'em on ebay.
    Monoprice.com is an interesting site if you're impatient.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10305&style=
    mike

    mike, Feb 26, 2007
  7. Johnny

    mike Guest

    To repeat input of others...
    ALWAYS get a USB enclosure with an external AC supply.
    Ability of a laptop USB to run an external hard drive varies considerably.
    I've had much better luck with power from desktop USB ports.
    mike

    mike, Feb 26, 2007
  8. Bensbargain? No, never heard of it.

    But try:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330092813546
    (not a case, but will do the job ... and a lot more)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200083555975
    [not limited to Sony computers .... and cheap]

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110094383054

    A search for "2.5 case" turns up over 950 items

    Or, if you want an IDE connection, they are 99-cents:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190086193296

    Barry Watzman, Feb 26, 2007
  9. He's connecting to a desktop.

    But I've never had a drive not work, in fact not work with a single USB
    connector (even if the cable had "dual" plugs)

    Barry Watzman, Feb 26, 2007
  10. Johnny

    ArtFD Guest

    Some regular retail, mail-order, non-ebay links follow:
    This kit will allow 2.5" HDDs to be installed in 3.5" HDD disk bays to
    be wired into the desktop case as an internal IDE HDD:
    http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=223240
    This USB 2.5" IDE HDD enclosure is one I own. It turns the laptop's
    HDD into an external USB drive. I have used it to connect to many desktop
    and laptop WinXP machines, every attempt has been successful without an AC
    adapter.
    http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=240900
    Nearly all laptop owners should have one or the other of these as part
    of their basic laptop maintenance kit. They're not expensive even at
    retail.

    ArtFD, Mar 10, 2007