    on the incoming high speed data line to receive my TV signal or will I have
    to use another cable line for a TV signal?

    dg

    David, May 15, 2004

  2. David

    Glzmo Guest

    It depends how the cable company handles the internet signal. While most
    have the internet signal on the same line as the TV channels, some have
    seperate lines for each. AFAIK, some companies can also enable/disable
    channels on lines and such.
    If both the TV signal and the signal responsible for data transfer are
    enabled on same line, you could probably use a simple splitter to get both.
    However, this will decrease signal quality a bit, which isn't that big a
    deal unless the signal is weak to begin with.

    I hope this helps,

    Glzmo

    Glzmo, May 15, 2004

  3. David

    David Guest

    Thanks-sounds like I should be able to go the splitter route which is an
    easy solution.
    dg

    David, May 15, 2004
  4. David

    JLC Guest

    I have Comcast here in Seattle WA. With Comcast you must have at lest a
    basic cable TV subscription for a splitter to work. It used to work when it
    was still AT&T but soon after Comcast took over, no more free TV. JLC

    JLC, May 15, 2004
  5. David

    David Guest

    I am in WA as well and have basic service, so I guess it will be fine-that
    is good news.
    dg

    David, May 15, 2004
  6. David

    MIZERY1 Guest

    This is probably a stupid question-I have a high speed cable connection
    Put a splitter on the Cable coming from the wall outlet. One goes to Video
    Card, other goes to cable modem.

    MIZERY1, May 15, 2004
  7. David

    Guess Who Guest

    I have done exactly this. I had a splitter for the line going to 2 TV's.
    When I got cable internet, they split the line again, and ran a line to the
    computer. I then split that line to both the cable modem and my ATI all In
    wonder tuner. No signal loss or picture quality problems. Apparently, I
    must have a very good signal.

    Guess Who, May 15, 2004
  8. David

    Allan Sheely Guest

    Yea, you must. I had a four way splitter and when the Internet tech
    guy saw that he gave me a high quality two way splitter to use for my
    cable tv and internet connection, I only needed two way and he said
    four way splitters are not good when you need one for the internet.

    Allan Sheely, May 16, 2004
  9. David

    Blood Dawg Guest

    You can use a splitter, but I can;t tell you which channels you'll
    get. For 3 years I used a splitter. I just had internet on cable.
    then the cable truck came by and saw i was connected and the guy was
    gonna disconnect me. Lucky for me I was home, and told him I have
    cable internet, don;t be disconnecting me!

    He then put a filter on the line going in, after that i only got
    channels 2-6,14,15. I don;t know much about cable so i don;t know
    what this filter or thingy is called. before that I was getting more
    than basic cable. but the signal in my area has been crap ever since
    i can remember.

    If i were you, pick up a splitter and check to see what you get. Use
    a small tv to check maybe, unless you already got your cap card.

    Blood Dawg, May 16, 2004
  10. David

    Cliffz0rz Guest

    If you have cable TV service, it should work. But remember this...adding a
    splitter to the line will likely change the signal level your cablemodem
    gets. This could cause your modem to go offline. I work for a cable
    company's internet help desk, so I've seen it happen MANY times. Sometimes
    it's just a matter of luck. If the internet connection doesn't work after
    adding a splitter, call the cable company and they can setup a splitter that
    will allow both the modem and tuner card to work fine for ya...again, seen
    it MANY times...so, yeah...

    Cliffz0rz

    Cliffz0rz, May 17, 2004
  11. David

    GMAN Guest

    So the cable co has "Magic" splitters??? bwahahahaa

    Bet they charge you for them!

    GMAN, May 19, 2004
  12. David

    Tony Guest

    Cable COs tend to use "bidirectional" splitters.

    Unless you specifically look for the bi type. the offtheshelf splitter
    you get will be one way..
    which most likely will work, but the cable co doesn't get diagnostic
    info back to thier system and may see it as the box being offline and
    do weird things :)

    -T-

    Tony, May 23, 2004