    limitation), but all I can find is PC100 or PC133 memory (no more PC66
    around).

    Can I use PC100 or PC133 memory in this board (which is designed for PC66)?

    red floyd, Jan 5, 2004

  2. red floyd

    Lankshire Guest

    There is generally no problem running PC133 or PC100 at a lower FSB (which
    is what your motherboard would be doing). If I'm not mistaken, isn't there
    also an (possible hidden) option to run the FSB at 75 MHz? If there is,
    your memory should have no trouble running at that speed also.

    Lankshire, Jan 6, 2004

  3. red floyd

    Skier Guest

    You can try, but I suspect that the mobo won't recognize any SDRAM over 64
    megs. I can't remember if it only recognizes EDO SDRAM and not the newer
    type. I had a number of Intel TX boards that didn't recognize the higher
    density chips. Some mobos did recognize them with a BIOS upgrade, but that
    was the early PII chipsets, Intel LX and BX. You should be able to find
    some PC66 RAM on Ebay. The 64 meg PC66 DIMMS should be very cheap. That is
    where I find the older style RAM. You might be able to find 4 sticks of 32
    megs 72 pin SIMMs too on Ebay. Just a thought. My old HOT-569 was a good
    board. You can upgrade to a AMD K6/333 and it makes a respectable
    Internet/home office PC. Or, you could find a used PII system for next to
    nothing instead of fooling around with that old board. I hated to part with
    mine, but the faster PC is worth it.

    Tom

    Skier, Jan 6, 2004
  4. red floyd

    red floyd Guest

    Thanks. Yeah, there's DIP switch on the mobo (and I think a BIOS
    setting) to run at 75MHz, but since this is for a file server, I think
    I'll run it conservatively and keep it at 66.

    red floyd, Jan 6, 2004
  5. red floyd

    red floyd Guest

    Skier wrote:

    Mobo manual states 256MB as the limit. The TX chipset won't *CACHE*
    memory above 64MB, but slower RAM is still better than thrashing to disk.

    red floyd, Jan 6, 2004