    sound card. I want to put a modem in PCI slot 1. The other is Red Had 8
    with PCI ethernet and sound cards, and I want to add a Promise controller.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    David Boon, Sep 2, 2003

  2. David Boon

    Kyle Brant Guest

    The AGP slot and the adjacent PCI slot on the 503+ share the same
    interrupt assignment, thus the commentary that one should avoid using
    both slots. If drivers are written correctly, IRQ sharing should not
    be a problem. As a rule of thumb, try using a PCI card in the
    adjacent slot that will have the least IRQ "activity" associated
    therewith.

    Heck, on my win2k gaming machine (ECS K7S5A mobo), win2k put the HD
    controller, USB, VID card (ATI 8500) and the onboard NIC all on 1 IRQ
    and the system did not burp at all. However, that system is ACPI
    compliant, and the 503+ is not fully compliant (and I'm not certain as
    to why the 503+ is not fully ACPI compliant).

    I'll bet the Linux system handles the situation better than win2k, but
    ya never know. Do you have USB enabled? Having USB enabled mucks up
    IRQ steering with the 503+ (if you are using the 503+ in APM mode).

    Give it a try and tell us of your successes/failures. Hopefully, it
    will be successes.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Sep 2, 2003

  3. David Boon

    ?uzzled Guest

    Never had a problem when I ran an AGP Radeon 32MB DDR and a 3DFx Voodoo2
    card by side. I'm now currently running a 16Mb Voodoo 3 AGP with a USB 2.0
    PCI card next to it and it still works fine. Dual booting Win2K and Win98SE
    if that makes any difference.

    ?uzzled, Sep 3, 2003
  4. David Boon

    John Guest

    really bad, really really really bad, super bad, bad bad

    John, Sep 4, 2003
  5. David Boon

    David Boon Guest

    Thanks to can-do words from Kyle and ?uzzled, I installed a Ultra66 in slot
    one of my 503+. It works, noticeably faster! This is a Linux machine, and
    I'm still studying what happened to the Linux partitions, but the apps and
    all work fine.

    Thanks again.

    - Dave

    David Boon, Sep 8, 2003