How best to utilise 'Dual Channel' RAM feature of A7N8X Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Paul Speller, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Paul Speller

    Paul Speller Guest

    Hi,

    I've got 2 x 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM chips in my A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
    at the moment, and I've just ordered a 512MB chip to go with them in the
    third slot.

    However, I saw that this motherboard has a 'Dual Channel' feature with
    the RAM (which I think sounds a bit like Intel's HyperThreading thing in
    its latest processors), and I wondered which slots people thought I
    should put each of my chips into.

    I think slots 1 and 2 are one channel, and slot 3 is the other. The
    logical thing to do would seem to be to put 256MB in each of 1 and 2,
    and 512 into slot 3, but just because that gives each channel the same
    total doesn't necessarily mean it's the best thing to do, so I thought
    I'd post on here in case anyone had any suggestions.

    I realise 'Dual Channel' is probably meaningless marketing drivel which
    has next-to-no effect on actual performance of the PC but, well, you
    never know for sure until you ask :)

    Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

    Paul Speller
    UK

    Paul Speller, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Paul Speller

    Darkfalz Guest

    That was dumb. You should have got two more identical 256 mb pieces.
    No, it makes a HUGE difference in performance. HUGE.

    Darkfalz, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Paul Speller

    Doug Ramage Guest

    Yes, that what I have done, IIRC. Just check the manual to make sure.

    Doug Ramage, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Paul Speller

    DaveW Guest

    You cannot get dual channel operation with mismatched RAM. And yes it makes
    a goodly difference in memory speed. You would need to buy two MATCHED
    sticks of dual channel rated DDR RAM.

    DaveW, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Paul Speller

    Kyle Brant Guest

    I would think that the 2 memory sticks should be capable of running at
    the same speed, but they need not be "matched". I am using a pc2100
    and a pc2700 stick (both running at 166 MHz) in dual channel mode.
    Yes, the pc2100 stick is overclocked, but I have no memory or system
    errors after thorough testing and adjustment of memory speed settings
    that accommodate the slower stick.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Paul Speller

    Paul Speller Guest

    Er, how would I fit two more pieces into the one remaining slot?!

    Paul

    Paul Speller, Jan 16, 2004
  7. Paul Speller

    Dunny Rummy Guest

    I can concur on this. I had mismatch memory and it sucked! I had in
    slot 1 a PC2100 512MBDDR and a PC2700 512MBDDR in the other. The 2100
    is maxed @133MHz and the 2700 does 166MHZ but can match the 2100's
    clock speed..........FOOEY! I could never get solid performance so I
    took the 2700 back, got TWO IDENTICAL sticks of PC3200 512MBDDR
    @200MHz. Now my machine's performance is way much noticeably better!!
    ----------------------------------
    MOBO: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+Barton Core
    CPU Clock Speed: 2074.7 MHz ( OverClocked stable)
    Front Side Bus Frequency: 180.4 MHz
    Bus Speed: 360.8 MHz
    Memory: Wintec Industries DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512MB Dual channel (twin)
    Total memory: 1024 MBytes
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB DDR (yeah yeah not the Pro but it rocks with
    me!)

    Dunny Rummy, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Paul Speller

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Did you manually setup the ram timings in CMOS so that both sdram
    sticks' parameters matched? If not, then the mobo may/will attempt to
    use spd info to establish sdram timings, as most if not all modern
    chipsets are able to establish unique timing parameters for each sdram
    slot. I am not certain the nforce chipset can do this, but no reason
    to assume it cannot. From there, I would wager a guess that dual
    channel mode don't work so well if each sdram slot is setup for
    different memory timings. As I mentioned in another post, I have a
    pc2100 and pc2700 combination that is rock solid stable at 166 MHz
    fsb. Both sticks are Crucial brand.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Jan 16, 2004
  9. Paul Speller

    Darkfalz Guest

    I have four slots. Seems very odd that a dual channel system would have
    three.

    Your best option now is to purchase another identical 512 and sell those 256
    on ebay.

    Darkfalz, Jan 16, 2004
  10. Paul Speller

    Doug Ramage Guest

    Are you sure your mobo is an Asus A7N8X de luxe? Mine has only 3 slots - 1&2
    slots = 1 channel and slot3 = 2nd channel.

    Doug Ramage, Jan 16, 2004
  11. Paul Speller

    Darkfalz Guest

    No, my mobo is a P4P800 Deluxe.