    and then moving the resulting .pdf to my iPhone.

    So far, I have failed. Does anyone know how to do this, either on a
    mac or on a pc?

    Gary, Nov 12, 2010

  2. Gary

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Open the file in Quicken. Use the Arial font in the size of your
    choice. Select "Print" and then click on the "PDF" button on the print
    dialog box. Select "Save as PDF" and put the file where you want it.

    Sync it to your iPhone. Should be fine.

    Good luck.

    Tim McNamara, Nov 12, 2010

  3. Actually; it doesn't have to be any specific application,
    i'm pretty sure that it will work with any application that has a
    print feature,
    you just try to print it, then switch to saving it as a pdf.

    The Translucent Amoebae, Nov 12, 2010
  4. Open the .txt file in a word processor. Set the font, size, margins etc however
    you like. Print to PDF.

    Wayne C. Morris, Nov 12, 2010
  5. Gary

    JF Mezei Guest

    Do not use TextEdit to do this. It does weird scaling stuff to fit your
    text on paper based on a preference setting of the window size.

    If you wish to automate stuff, there is the "enscript" utility at the
    line command.

    man enscript gives you the details of the options.

    JF Mezei, Nov 12, 2010
  6. Gary

    JF Mezei Guest

    I realise that afterwards. Sorry.

    "enscript" converts from text to postscript,

    and then you can use "pstopdf" to convert ps to PDF.

    There are direct text to pdf converters around. But the above solution
    comes pre-installed on OS-X.

    JF Mezei, Nov 13, 2010
  7. Gary

    Gary Guest

    An excellent suggestion, BUT... Since the reports are from Quicken
    they contain columns of numbers. If I use a variable-pitch font such
    as Ariel (my personal favorite), the columns wind up looking wiggly
    like a snake.

    Gary, Nov 13, 2010
  8. Gary

    Tim McNamara Guest

    So use a fixed width font. I would recommend Andale Mono or Monaco.

    Tim McNamara, Nov 14, 2010
  9. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Also an excellent suggestion. Actually I'm testing out 5 fonts: Andale
    Mono, Monaco, Lucinda Console, Letter Gothic, and Menlo. They seem
    pretty close but some have advantages. I'll let you know which one I
    choose.

    Gary, Nov 14, 2010
  10. Gary

    Warren Oates Guest

    Look at Inconsolata too. I use it for my teminal font.

    http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html

    Warren Oates, Nov 14, 2010
  11. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Warren:

    I looks like a terrific font. The letters are quite large compared to
    the space above and below and between the letters, which I think
    improves the clarity.

    How do I make it available to Microsoft Windows:mac?

    Gary, Nov 15, 2010
  12. Gary

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Nov 15, 2010
  13. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Gary, Nov 16, 2010
  14.
    Michael Vilain, Nov 16, 2010
  15. Gary

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Nov 17, 2010
  16. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Thanks for the simple directions.

    I agree, Menlo is really beautiful for fixed-pitch applications!

    Gary, Nov 17, 2010
  17. Gary

    Lewis Guest

    My only problem with menlo is that it is a little heavy when you get cli
    apps that use bright colors in the terminal for things like bold (they
    don't use the bold variant of the font) so, for example, it doesn't
    look that great in slrn for some of the quote levels.

    Also, I don't know how to set the font in MacVim (it's not in the
    preferences. I haven't looked beyond that. Probably in some .gvimrc
    file)

    Lewis, Nov 17, 2010