1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

How can I enter extended ASCII characters using a ThinkPad ? (e.g. " º ")

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by ship, Mar 28, 2008.

  1. ship

    ship Guest


    How do I enter weird ASCII characters that arent on my IBM ThinkPad
    (T60) keyboard?

    For example on my PC - which has an extended keyboard - can simply
    hold down the Alt key and hit 0186 on the number keys and I will get
    the degree sign ( º ). Or for example I can hit Alt / 255 to get a
    blank space that won't wrap ( ).

    - Any thoughts?

    Shiperton Henethe
    ship, Mar 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. Won't the exact same thing work on the thinkpad? Tne num-lock key may
    be needed,
    Rich Greenberg, Mar 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. ship

    Todd H. Guest

    Hint: NumLk mode The blue Fn key plus ScrLk activates it.

    Then 789 uio jkl and m become your number pad.

    The LED icon at the bottom of the screen/lid of the thinkpad that
    looks like a triangle with a 1 in the middle indicates whether numlck
    mode is on.

    This tip is also useful when sometimes, numlk gets magiclaly engaged
    and you wonder why your passwords that involve letter uiojklm aren't
    being accepted coming out of standby (though I haven't had this issue
    in quite some time).

    Best Regards,
    Todd H., Mar 29, 2008
  4. ship

    ship Guest

    Excellent! Thanks guys :^)

    ship, Mar 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.