    TIA!

    I will now connect my KVM to that system via PS/2 cables until I get
    this straightened out and can, once again, use the USB port ...

    Youngblood, Feb 14, 2004

  2. Youngblood

    TomG Guest

    all I can think of is to note the drivers that are listed on the device
    drivers tab for HID and delete HID from the device manager. then delete the
    drivers from the HD and reboot. but I don't know that this will work and I
    don't know if you will be able to get the drivers back upon reboot.

    one consideration is that if you have loaded SP1 and delete the drivers from
    the HD, then redetect upon reboot and the drivers aren't available on the
    system, then the only place I can think to get them from is the XP CD and
    they will not be SP1 drivers.

    maybe a repair or upgrade install of XP and then reapplication of SP1?
    seems like overkill but I cannot think of a safe way to do it otherwise...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 14, 2004

  3. Youngblood

    Youngblood Guest

    Thanks, Tom, but HID is no longer showing in Device Manager ... I have
    rooted around in the registry and can see nothing (apparently) wrong

    Many thanks for the suggestions ... hopefully, someone to whom this
    kinda thing has happened will wander past and have a
    not-too-traumatic/complex solution ... ;-)

    Youngblood, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Youngblood

    TomG Guest

    well, if forcing a hardware detection doesn't do it, then I'd probably be
    doing the repair/upgrade install of XP. the upgrade install is nothing more
    than installing the same version of XP on top of a booted session of XP and
    then reapplying hotfixes.

    TomG, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Youngblood

    Youngblood Guest

    SCORE! HID is back and all is right in my world ... for a brief
    moment ... :)

    I was too focused on forcing the issue via the registry. That came
    from a fistfight that I had last week with the registry on my Dell
    Latitude C640 laptop. It insisted on assigning partmgr.sys to the
    OnStream DI-30 that I installed in a USB2 external enclosure and
    trying to deal with it as a HDD rather than using sc2k.sys and
    treating it as a tape drive. Maaaaajor prob ... finally endup up
    having to manually rewrite several modules in the registry before I
    could force the correct configuation onto WinXP.

    This morning I backed up the data on the BE7 in anticipation of having
    to run a WinXP Repair.

    Before running the Repair, I tried one last thing.

    I removed all USB accessories and reattached a single HID device to
    one of the ports.

    I then went into Device Manager and, as quickly as I could,
    uninstalled the 3 pairs of 1.1 Cntrlr/Root and the 1 pair of 2.0
    Cntrlr/Root entries, got the hell out (so that XP would not start to
    automatically rediscover & reinstall them) and restarted the system.

    It WORKED!

    I had not thought of it due to the MASSIVE hassle that I had following
    The Hosing just to get WinXP to see and load the proper drivers for
    the USB Controllers.

    FYI ... and thanks for extending the ubiquitous helping hand, Tom!
    :)

    Kim

    Youngblood, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Youngblood