    correcting my issues?

    Thanks

    LEESA (I)

    Leesa_Tay, Oct 7, 2005

  2. Leesa_Tay

    Tom Scales Guest

    Tom Scales, Oct 7, 2005

  3. Leesa_Tay

    Leesa_Tay Guest

    Thanks Tom.... But wouldn't being able to BOOT the PC be a step in
    possibly allowing my PC to see the appropriate drives?

    It has been suggested to me that you have to get to a certain point in
    Windows before your PC will detect the various drives... I don't
    know... just what I have been told.

    Thanks

    LEESA

    Leesa_Tay, Oct 7, 2005
  4. Leesa_Tay

    Tom Scales Guest

    Can't hurt. Either W98 Boot disk will work.

    Tom Scales, Oct 7, 2005
  5. Leesa_Tay

    louise Guest

    I've had similar experiences where one file is missing, get it on
    the machine, only to discover another file is missing and on and on
    it goes.

    Why don't you want XP? With all its drawbacks, patches, security
    issues, etc., I find it about 10 times more stable than 98SE ever
    was.

    Louise

    louise, Oct 7, 2005
  6. Leesa_Tay

    louise Guest

    And if you get the system up and running, immediately run scandsk.
    And, if the hard drive manufacturer offers a diagnostic tool, run
    that too.

    While you have access to your data, make sure your hard drive is
    healthy.

    Louise

    louise, Oct 7, 2005
  7. Leesa_Tay

    Steve W. Guest

    Maybe the vid card is going out due to the cooling problem? It may be
    able to handle the lower res settings until the GUI starts up and tries
    to up the res. Then the chips puke and you lose the screen. Got a spare
    card you could pop in there to test it?
    I've also got one here that decides every now and again that it has a
    bad floppy drive, even though it never had a floppy from day one.

    Steve W., Oct 7, 2005
  8. Leesa_Tay

    Steve W. Guest

    Too bad you aren't a bit closer. I have finally gotten copies of 3.1,
    3.11, win 95, Win 98, 98SE, ME and Both current flavors of XP.
    If your machine came with SE use the OEM boot disk. It will look in the
    correct location for the files.

    Steve W., Oct 7, 2005
  9. Leesa_Tay

    Diverse Guy Guest

    I would suggest just getting an external drive enclosure and droping
    your entire drive in there. You can then extract all of the files that
    you need. This will allow you to do a complete format/reinstall of your
    OS. If you choose to stick with Win 98 (not sure why) but its up to
    you. Then you can have the same fresh start as you did 6 years ogo(i.e.
    pre WinMe and Pre Win 2K) I've found that once a Win98 Os is broken, it
    keeps on breaking, and there are no guarantees that your system will not
    hang once the DLL's are replaced. Hope this helps.

    Diverse Guy, Oct 7, 2005
  10. Leesa_Tay

    Paul Knudsen Guest

    Head over the Ebay and grab a copy of Win 2000. If you're patient you
    should get a good price.

    Paul Knudsen, Oct 7, 2005
  11. Leesa_Tay

    Jay B Guest

    i'm in long island if you feel like coming here.
    i'll help you n/c.
    i have every thing here to fix your problem.
    Jay

    Jay B, Oct 8, 2005
  12. Leesa_Tay

    Leesa_Tay Guest

    Thanks... unfortunately, traveling is not an option for me. Thanks for
    your offer though. :)

    LEESA (I)

    Leesa_Tay, Oct 12, 2005