How can I recover email from a Windows PST file?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by flarosa, Sep 6, 2009.

  1. flarosa

    flarosa Guest

    After converting from Windows to Mac, I realize that I have a lot of
    email stored in a Microsoft Outlook .pst file that I can't access. I
    moved the .pst file over to my Mac, but Mac Mail cannot open it.

    The .pst file is from Outlook 2003. I no longer have the original
    Windows machine that it came from. I do have access to a Windows Vista
    machine, but that machine doesn't have Office or Outlook on it. My Mac
    does not have Office either.

    How can I convert my .pst file into something readable? I don't care
    if it imports into Mac Mail or just exports a set of plain text files
    that I can browse.

    I tried googling for a solution but the results are very confusing -
    the one thing that looked like it might work seems to require that
    Outlook be running on the original computer, which isn't an option in
    my case.

    Thanks for any help,
    Frank

    flarosa, Sep 6, 2009

  2. flarosa

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    The easiest way is to use
    <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/24823>. This assumes that you
    have access to:

    1 the Outlook .PST files

    2 a machine running Windows.

    This item <http://www.detto.com/mail-2-mac-help.html> may also work, but
    it'll cost you $20.

    J.J. O'Shea, Sep 6, 2009

  3. Frank-

    I have a similar problem, but the .PST file is from outlook on the Mac
    from a few years back. Back then I determined that the Mac file was
    essentially the same as the Windows .PST file. (I did an experiment
    where I took a Windows .PST and opened it in the Mac's Exchange program.)

    One "pay" program is Emailchemy from weirdkid.com. I tried their demo
    and it appeared to work, but it alters the messages unless you pay for
    it.

    Doing a Google search, I found an interesting article at
    <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/cross_platform/win_mac.html>
    that claims to tell you how to import .PST files into Entourage on the
    Mac, as well as to convert it to "MBOX" format. I haven't read any
    further yet.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Sep 7, 2009
  4. flarosa

    flarosa Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I did get my messages exported into some files I
    can read, but now I'm having another problem, will post a separate
    message about it.

    flarosa, Sep 7, 2009
  5. It's $29.50. Worth every penny.

    Michael Vilain, Sep 8, 2009