    Edna Hosner Guest

    There used to be an Internet Preferences Pane, but it's gone.

    ed

    Edna Hosner, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Edna Hosner

    Alice Faber Guest

    Web preferences are in Safari, email preferences in Mail.

    Alice Faber, Dec 19, 2003

  3. safari preferences

    Jonathan Brady, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Edna Hosner

    Edna Hosner Guest

    There used to be an Internet Preferences Pane, but it's gone.

    Thanks Alice.

    No wonder I couldn't find it. It never would have occurred to me
    to look in Safari preferences to set my default web browser to
    Netscape and go to Mail to set the default email app to Eudora.

    That's got to be one of the dumbest ideas I've seen a in a while.
    Am I missing something here... what's the logic of it?

    ed

    Edna Hosner, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Edna Hosner

    leye Guest

    That one (two) I knew, how about ftp?

    Thanks.

    leye, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Edna Hosner

    Guest Guest

    Which is really stupid and annoying. Thanks, Apple.

    Head on over to http://www.versiontracker.com and search
    for More Internet - which gives you back a Preferences pane
    which lets you assign applications to various internet
    protocols (ie. http, mailto, ftp, etc.).

    Guest, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Edna Hosner

    clvrmnky Guest

    I wondered at this, myself. However, I've installed More Internet as a
    panel, and it just refuses to launch any app for the ftp:// URL. I've
    tried a bunch of freeware/shareware GUI apps, and the Finder. Hitting a
    ftp:// URL in Safari just times times out with an error.

    clvrmnky, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Edna Hosner

    ophion Guest

    I must agree entirely. I do not think that you are missing anything--it
    appears to be a Microsoft style lock-in maneuver. Just wait for the
    people to flood in saying that it is okay when Apple does it.

    ophion, Dec 19, 2003
  9. Edna Hosner

    Philo D Guest

    I have ftp set to Interarchy, and that works.

    Philo D, Dec 19, 2003
  10. Edna Hosner

    GDB Guest

    .. . . I think the theory is that the choice of browser should be
    dependent upon the application calling it (the option for e-mail in Mail
    doesn't make too much sense though). And that's only if that theory is
    implemented. Adobe Photoshop for instance does not seem to give me a
    choice, and launches Explorer every time I access its help menu . . .

    Glenn

    GDB, Dec 20, 2003
  11. Edna Hosner

    Tim McNamara Guest

    I think the question is *how* to set the default FTP application.

    Tim McNamara, Dec 20, 2003
  12. Edna Hosner

    Philo D Guest

    Open "More Internet" and follow the instructions.

    Philo D, Dec 20, 2003
  13. Edna Hosner

    Guest Guest

    That's not consistent with what's going on. The default
    browser that gets set - either through Safari or through
    MoreInternet prefs pane - is set _system-wide_ - not just
    for one app or another.

    Frankly, it'd be pretty annoying to decide on a new browser
    and then have to go through, app at a time and reset all of
    them to use the new browser for URLs. It might be nice
    for an app to offer an _override_ for the default one in
    the system. Some apps do that (ie. Yahoo Messenger lets
    you choose IE, Netscape or "default system browser").

    Guest, Dec 21, 2003
  14. Edna Hosner

    David Lesher Guest

    MisFox