    wants a password but won't accept the master password on my machine.

    Two questions here, I guess, thanks for any help.
    jim

    Jim McCord, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Jim McCord

    stan Guest

    To do print sharing, just turn on print sharing in the preferences panel
    on the Mac that has the printer connected to it. On your wife's Mac, just
    install the driver for your printer and go into print center and set it
    up, same as a locally attached printer.

    stan, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Use the Desktop Printer Utility and create an LPD printer, with the
    address as your computer's IP address and the queue as the name of the
    printer queue. For PPD use something like LaserWriter Color 12/600 PS if
    it is a colour printer, or if it is a Postscript printer then use its
    PPD.

    It doesn't give you full functionality but is better than nothing.

    Matthew Smith, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Jim McCord

    Steve Guest

    I was never able to do printer sharing from OS 9 to OS 10.2 or vice versa
    over the network. Only OS 9 to 9, or 10 to 10. Is your above advice based on
    personal experience? Have you successfully shared a printer from 9 to 10, or
    vice versa?

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 8, 2004
  5. This is possible in 10.3. I have a DeskJet 930C connected to my B&W G3.
    On my PowerBook I could do this under OS 9. Something in 10.3 allows
    this. I have also done it from a Windows machine.

    Matthew Smith, Oct 8, 2004
  6. Jim McCord

    Jim McCord Guest

    I have not been able to make it work. The USB printer connected to the 10.3
    machine is a Canon i560. Here's what I did:

    - Installed the i560 drivers (OS9 version, both server and direct connect)
    on my wife's OS9 machine
    -Opened the Mac OS 9 System Folder used by the Classic environment on the
    10.3 machine
    - Opened the Control Panels folder and double-clicked USB Printer Sharing
    - Clicked Start/Stop in the control panel, then clicked the Start button
    - Clicked My Printers and selected the Share checkbox next to the name of
    the USB printer

    Then I went into the Chooser on the OS9 machine and clicked the i560
    drivers. Nothing shows up, either in the direct-connect or the server
    version. I've re-started both machines and gone through the whole exercise
    several times without success.

    Any ideas what's going on? Thanks.
    jim

    Jim McCord, Oct 11, 2004
  7. [snip]
    Is it possible that the OS9 machine is expecting to communicate with
    the printer by Appletalk? If so, you would need to turn this on on
    the OS X machine - as I remember, it is off be default in X.

    David C. Stone, Oct 12, 2004
  8. Jim McCord

    Charlie Guest

    You might also contact Canon tech support. They have excellent email
    support for Mac users, at least that's been my experience.

    Charlie, Oct 12, 2004