How can I use the same Ghost image on several partitions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi,
    I have the following question:
    I'm running Windows XP Pro, and I'd like to have 4 menus when booting
    my PC, let's say:

    C:\ --> Internet and Office
    D:\ --> Software Development (Java, Javascript, Flash, Coldfusion,
    etc.)
    E:\ --> Multimedia (Video cut (Pinnacle), etc.)
    F:\ --> Testing software (Shareware, Freeware)

    All of these partitions should have a minimum on software, for example
    everywhere should be

    - Norton System Works & Norton Firewall
    - Office XP
    - Winzip
    - Acrobat Reader
    and so on...

    Sensitive data like *.doc, *.xls, *.pst, etc. resides on another HD.

    Now I made an image of my C:\ drive, and I've restored it on my D:\
    drive.
    For the menu selection when booting, I've changed the following line
    in the boot.ini file:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Software Development"
    /fastdetect

    When the system starts, it shows me the 2 choices. However when I
    choose the new added partition (Software Development), the system gets
    an error.
    My question is:

    In case I have some fatal errors, or another problem on a partition, I
    want to to be able to use always the same Ghost image (with the
    minimum software), and then just add some specific software for the
    partition.
    How can I use the same Ghost image and put it on several partitions so
    that I can use a menu when my PC starts?
    Which files should I modify or how should I configure Norton Ghost?

    Thank you very much for your answerz
    John

    John, Jun 1, 2004

  2. John

    Kenny Guest

    the MVPs will start nagging that you cannot install Xp 4 times on the same
    computer...
    without having 4 licenses!

    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    _____________
    Kenny S
    foksot2004 at hotmail.com
    www.computerboom.net

    Kenny, Jun 1, 2004

  3. John

    Peter Guest

    That is a wrong approach. Since all partitions will be visible when
    operating in any of 4 modes, it is very likely that they will get polluted
    from other environments. Plus you don't want to run Ghost image load during
    boot times.
    There is one elegant solution to this: VMware.

    Peter, Jun 1, 2004
  4. John

    kawipoo Guest

    I would recommend boot magic which comes with partition magic. If you are
    using NTFS the boot magic would have to be installed on a FAT32 partition.
    The only problem is you are only allowed 4 primary partitions with boot
    magic taking up one of them.

    kawipoo, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Bruce Chambers, Jun 2, 2004
  6. That isn't going to work by simply ghosting the image to another drive and
    changing the boot menu because the original 'C' drive is still there and
    the registry on the 'D' drive will still be referencing the old 'C' as it's
    system root drive.

    Not only that, but Windows XP 'serializes' the drives when they're
    identified so now that it's booted with both installed it won't boot on the
    D drive by itself because that drive has been identified as 'D' and there
    will be no system root drive (it's still pointing to the original 'C'
    drive, by serial number, and it KNOWS that 'D' ain't it, because of the
    serial number).

    It might be possible to go into the registry and reverse the drive
    assignments in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices on the second drive
    but I haven't tried that with two bootable partitions so I'm not entirely
    sure it would work.

    David Maynard, Jun 3, 2004