How can I use Windows XP Tablet Edition on tablet PC with touch screen?

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Stan, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. Stan

    Stan Guest

    I have ViewSonic ViewPad 1000 Tablet PC with touch screen. As far as
    understand, the difference between a touch screen and an electromagnetic
    digitizing screen is that certain function don't work on a touch screen. For
    example, the mouse pointer does not follow the pen, Press and Hold, etc. It
    looks like a touch screen only reacts on touch.

    After I upgraded my OS to Win XP Tablet edition I found that none of the
    functions I really wanted works - Input panel does not come up, I don't have
    any recognition except in Windows Journal,etc.

    I can only right click with the pen by using the driver that came with the
    PC which displays the mouse on the task bar. Taping the mouse toggles left
    and right click.

    Is there anything I can do about it or I need third-party software, like
    PenOffice to have ink in all applications?

    Thanks,

    -Stan

    Stan, Mar 22, 2005

  2. Stan

    Paul Adare Guest

    ViewSonic may call this model a TabletPC, but it isn't one.

    --
    Paul Adare
    "On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament],

    Paul Adare, Mar 22, 2005

  3. Stan

    Chris H. Guest

    Not much you can do about it if you've already purchased the machine, Stan.
    True Tablet PCs, as we support in this newsgroup, all have digitizers behind
    the screens. The handwriting requires specific items, specific scanning
    qualifications and specific quality functionality on the Tablet PCs.
    Unfortunately you don't have a computer which meets the criteria set out:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/tabletpc/hardware/
    In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    Associate Expert

    Chris H., Mar 22, 2005
  4. Stan

    Woody Guest

    The ViewPad 1000 isn't a tabletPC, that is reserved for the V1100.

    You would need third party software to be able to use it. TabletPC
    relies on the fact that it knows when the cursor is over a text area. As
    you cannot have that on this model, you will not be able to get it to
    work.

    Woody, Mar 22, 2005
  5. Stan

    Stan Guest

    You would need third party software to be able to use it. TabletPC
    I had third-party ink ooftware originally on the PC - PenOffice. After
    Windows XP Tablet Edition came out I decided to upgrade thinking that I will
    no longer need PenOffice.

    The installation program could have warned me that this device is not fully
    compatible. It would have saved me a lot of time...

    -Stan

    Stan, Mar 23, 2005
  6. Stan

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Mar 23, 2005
  7. Stan

    Stan Guest

    Stan, Mar 23, 2005
  8. Stan

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Mar 23, 2005
  9. Stan

    Woody Guest

    That is one of the reasons why TabletXP is not available as a 'to buy'
    operating system. If you used MSDN to instal it then it is assumed you
    are developing on that machine, so the fact it doesn't work quite right
    is not really that important.

    Woody, Mar 23, 2005
  10. Stan

    Mason [MSFT] Guest

    Quite right, Chris.

    Stan, double check your steps on the Tablet Edition install. It sounds like
    you have used the incorrect product key or forgotten to use the
    /makelocalsource:all flag when performing your install.

    Mason Jensen
    Software Test Engineer
    Windows - Tablet PC

    Mason [MSFT], Mar 24, 2005
  11. Stan

    Stan Guest

    The installation was on two CDs, it accepted product key without any
    problems. I did not use any flags..

    Stan, Mar 25, 2005
  12. Stan

    Chris H. Guest

    Stan, even if you used the proper PID, the hardware on which you've
    installed the MSDN development software is not a true Tablet PC and you
    therefore will have unexpected results. We don't support that type of
    installation here.

    Chris H., Mar 27, 2005