    time now, better value for money, even if they do like to fry :)

    Thanks for any info.

    HELLO NURSE.

    Orbital Defence, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Orbital Defence

    YanquiDawg Guest

    Tat video is old.The AMD XP Barton(FSB-333,400) and A64 CPU's DO have thermal
    protection.

    YanquiDawg, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Orbital Defence

    rstlne Guest

    Actually I think that video was the Pally and not the Barton..
    It's kinda old now .. it was something new for the p4's at the time I think
    and that's where the big comparison came in..
    Course todays p4's dont burn up, but they do melt the case.. go figgure.

    rstlne, Sep 8, 2004
  4. Orbital Defence

    Venom Guest

    We Live for the One we Die for the One" has changed his name again and is
    still asking stupid questions.

    Venom, Sep 9, 2004
  5. I did not think it was such a stupid question ?? 2 out of three people
    don't think it was tupid as they were nice and answered ?>?

    Maybe Venom is a FuckTard ?

    HELLO NURSE.

    Orbital Defence, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Orbital Defence

    Ed Light Guest

    I think the bios takes care of it using the on-die temp sensor. Since that
    old movie created a stir.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Sep 9, 2004
  7. Orbital Defence

    Ed Guest

    Newer socket-A boards that came out right after that video will shut
    down the PC if the cpu thermal diode gets too hot. My Asus A7N8X just
    beeps once and shuts off, CPU still works fine. :)

    On AMD64 processors it has it's own internal thermal safety mechanism to
    shut down and prevent thermal run away, so if the board doesn't the CPU
    will. ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Sep 9, 2004
  8. Orbital Defence

    FSAA Guest

    That video is like 3 years old, I still watch it for the nice dance sound
    track

    FSAA, Sep 9, 2004
  9. Orbital Defence

    Venom Guest

    So, it only took you 3 years to ask the question.
    This pretty well tells the other poasters all they need to know eh ?

    Venom, Sep 10, 2004
  10. First time ive seen the video, just came across it :)

    HELLO NURSE.

    Orbital Defence, Sep 10, 2004
  11. Orbital Defence

    Lachoneus Guest

    Actually I think that video was the Pally and not the Barton..
    Yeah, the video shows a T-bird and a Palomino, and they both fry.
    Whereas the Coppermine shuts down and the Wilamette throttles back.

    Ever since the Palomino, AMD chips have had on-die thermal sensors, but
    the mobo used in that video didn't actually read the sensor; it used an
    external probe. Which would have almost certainly been enough for a fan
    failure, but not for a heatsink removal.

    Lachoneus, Sep 10, 2004
  12. Mine does!

    I didn't notice, but when building a new system the fan was not connected
    that blows over the CPU heatpipe radiator and after a minute or so, the PC
    just shut down and wouldn't restart. I couldn't figure out what was wrong,
    until I noticed the radiator was too hot go near + I spotted the unplugged
    fan.

    Plugged in the fan, left it all to cool down + all is just fine.

    Gareth Tuckwell, Sep 10, 2004
  13. Orbital Defence

    John Smith Guest

    Funnily enough i had the fan die on 2 amd processors,an XP1800
    (palamino)and a 1GHz thunderbird.After them hitting silly temps
    they both survived and the weird thing was they both overclocked
    higher than they did before
    Smiffy

    John Smith, Sep 10, 2004
  14. Orbital Defence

    rstlne Guest

    Yea.. I tried turning my athlon 800 on without a heatsink ;) .. It is fine
    The 2500+ I have ran without a fan but it shut down (I didnt get the cooling
    working good enough to go fanless) :)

    rstlne, Sep 10, 2004
  15. Orbital Defence

    TE Cheah Guest

    so these cpu`s are more likely to burn up, then users must buy new
    1s

    TE Cheah, Sep 10, 2004
  16. Orbital Defence

    Kill Bill Guest

    It's all up to the motherboards fuckos....

    Kill Bill, Sep 11, 2004