    to the original computer. But I still have the boot screen asking me to
    pick an operating system. How do I kill the dual boot screen and go back
    the computer going right to windows XP?

    Bluenose 637, Aug 11, 2007

  2. Bluenose 637

    Crazy Noddy Guest

    Use the below free prog to edit the boot menu.

    http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/index.php

    Crazy Noddy, Aug 11, 2007

  3. Bluenose 637

    Bluenose 637 Guest

    I did a search for the boot.ini. It showed up in a windows folder. The bak
    was in the c: root directory.

    Here are the contents:

    ;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /USEPMTIMER

    It does not look like any reference to Win Vista in the code area. Just the
    notes. What needs to be changed?

    Bluenose 637, Aug 12, 2007
  4. On the Vista DVD that you used to perform your Vista installation there is a
    directory named "BOOT". In that directory there is an executable file named
    "BOOTSECT.EXE". This is the Boot sector restoration tool.

    Assuming that the Vista DVD is in the DVD drive named G: you would run the
    following command at a Command Prompt within XP to restore your normal XP
    boot screen:

    G:\BOOT\BOOTSECT /nt52 ALL

    This should bring you back to pre-Vista mode. I have tried this on my own
    dual boot Vista & XP installation and it worked.

    Homer J. Simpson, Aug 12, 2007
  5. Bluenose 637

    SumGuy Guest

    There is also a program called EasyBCD that should allow him to revert to
    his XP MBR. Don't have the program in front of me but IIRC there is an
    option to kill of the Vista boot loader.

    It allows editing of a few other things MS has seen fit to hide away, like
    renaming OS descriptions on the loader...

    SumGuy, Aug 13, 2007
  6. Bluenose 637

    Bluenose 637 Guest

    worked perfect! done