    Hi,

    I am trying to add a DVI-D video out port to my Dell Optiplex GX620.

    I see there is a Dell X8762 DVI Add in Adapter Card, PCI-E, Low Profile,
    that sells for $26.95 at www.softarcade.net

    The Dell Optiplex GX620 comes with a VGA out. I have connected a Dell 1707FP
    LCD monitor to this via the analog VGA port.

    I would like to add a second Dell 1707FP monitor using the DVI-D connection.

    My question is will this X8762 DVI add in adapter give me a DVI-D port in
    addition to the existing VGA port? Or, will I lose the VGA port
    functionality.

    What would be the cheapest way to connect two 1707FP monitors to my GX620?

    Regards,

    Tapas

    Tapas Das, May 4, 2007

  2. Tapas Das

    Tapas Das Guest

    I did some further research. I see there is an ATI Radeon X300SE 128MB PCI-E
    DVI VGA TV OUT graphics card (Part number P5288, Dell Part number F3988)

    This PCI Express graphics card has a DVI-I connector and a standard HD-15
    VGA connector.

    My question is will this graphics card fit into an OptiPlex GX620?
    This model comes in 3 sizes:
    - Small form factor
    - Small desktop computer
    - Small mini-tower computer

    I have the Small Desktop Computer version which has space for 2 half-length
    PCI cards 4.2inches high x 6.95 inches long.

    The PCI connections are 120 pins / 32bits

    I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

    Would I be able to get a desktop that spans both monitors?

    Thanks,

    Tapas

    Tapas Das, May 4, 2007

  3. Tapas Das

    S.Lewis Guest

    I can see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do that. Until someone
    here comes up with something better, browse/search here:
    http://tinyurl.com/3cpyb8

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 4, 2007
  4. Tapas Das

    Tapas Das Guest

    Hi Stew,

    Thanks for your vote of confidence and pointing me to the Dell Community
    User Forum. I was not aware of this. This has a treasure trove of
    information.

    I am looking at getting the ASUS EAX300SE-X/TD 128MB PCI Express x16
    graphics card. This has a DVI and a VGA out along with an S-Video TV Out
    connector.

    This video card uses the ATI Radeon X300 SE graphics processor.

    I believe this may do the trick for under $50.

    Thanks,

    Tapas

    Tapas Das, May 5, 2007
  5. Tapas Das

    S.Lewis Guest

    You're very welcome. There is a ton of good information over there even if
    the search function can be a bit cumbersome in drilling stuff down.

    The form factor half-height issues can be a bit more involved as well and
    video out is not a strong suit for me.

    Glad you found what you needed.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 5, 2007
  6. Tapas Das

    DellSupport Guest

    I'm not sure if you still needed help with this or not, but I thought
    would post just in case.

    If you use the integrated video card and the PCI-E add on card to ad
    the DVI connection, then you can run the system dual monitor. From th
    documentation I have you can connect up one display using VGA and
    second using DVI through the add on card with no problems at all.

    If you have other questions about the monitors or systems feel free t
    let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

    Larry
    Dell Customer Advocat

    DellSupport, May 11, 2007
  7. Tapas Das

    Columbotrek Guest

    I am using a Dell Optiplex 280 with the Radon X300 and two Dell 19" flat
    displays. Mine is using a Y adaptor cord which uses the analog out port
    of the video card. Works good. But its not digital.

    Columbotrek, May 15, 2007