    application should not be associated with a particular file type?

    I don't want to change the default application, I want to tell OS X,
    "Don't associate HP Photosmart Edit" with any file type."

    Timur Tabi, Jun 17, 2007

  2. The system gets the types of documents that an application can handle
    from the CFBundleDocumentTypes array in the Info.plist file inside the
    Contents folder of the application package. You could try deleting that
    array from HP Photosmart Edit's Info.plist file using Apple's Property
    List Editor (in /Developer/Applications/Utilities/).

    Neill Massello, Jun 17, 2007

  3. Timur Tabi

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    Is this basically the same way that you change associations? For
    reasons known only to my Mac (or more probably with MSoft), it has been
    decided that .wmv files should be opened by power point and not VLC.
    Needless to say, this confuses not only me but power point, also.

    Kurt Ullman, Jun 17, 2007
  4. I think that will only work temporarily. As soon as you use 'HP
    Photosmart Edit' once, it will show up again in that list. The reason
    for this is that applications themselves tell the OS what files they can
    open (through their bundle information). So if you want to exclude a
    particular application forever, you either have to not use that
    application ever, or you have to edit that Bundle information.

    Johan W. Elzenga, Jun 17, 2007
  5. Timur Tabi

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    Cool. I shall do that. Thanks yet again for all the help around here!

    Kurt Ullman, Jun 17, 2007