    Also any other hints for setting up this system?

    TIA
    Brian

    Brian, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Dear god, you go and spend top money for a top end CPU and motherboard. Yet
    you don't have a clue about computers?...if you knew anything you'd know
    that no AMD CPU even has Hyperthreading.

    You can't enable it because it dosen't exist in any current AMD processor. I
    strongly suggest you do alot of reading or sell me that FX-55 just to keep
    it away from rookies, knowing you you'll overclock it way too high and blow
    it up.

    [rolls eyes]

    Richard Dower, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I know - more money than sense. But I needed something good to run MS
    Word. Just kidding but you are right I don't know much about PC's which
    is why I'm asking the experts.
    Maybe I'm getting confused between hyper threading and Hyper Transport
    Technology which is what is written on the FX-55 box.

    Can you enlighten me?? All newbie jokes, etc gladly taken along with info.

    thanks Brian

    I do know that I can play Half Life 2 at up to 300fps with no lag!!

    Not game to overclock it at all - is that a waste as well??

    Brian, Apr 7, 2005
  4. ..

    Hyper transport is automatically enabled in BIOS. Your HTT is auto set to 5x
    = 1000HTT.
    LOL!!!....300fps in Half Life 2?, you must have SOME rig. Dude...there is
    NOTHING on this planet that can produce 300fps on that game, unless you're
    running at 800x600 with very low detail levels.

    Try set everything to 1600x1200 and max out all the visual settings, now
    report back on fps.

    Richard Dower, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Brian

    Brian Guest

    minimum 60fps with heaps of bots. I have a 19" screen. All details set
    to max - except one that wouldn't allow me to change. Haven't gone for
    dual cards yet - have to save up again for that. . .

    I'll do some research on hyper transport vs hyper threading

    thanks for responding. I was reading your messages on sata drives. I've
    ordered a single 250GB drive. Is it plug and play or will I have problems??

    Brian, Apr 7, 2005
  6. Plug & Play, it auto detects your drive. Just remember to format the drive
    when you're within Windows, under Computer Management - Disc Management.

    Richard Dower, Apr 7, 2005
  7. Brian

    Steve Sweet Guest

    Hi dude

    On my Gigabyte board it available after you press Ctrl-F1 on the BIOS
    frontpage, then i think its under the second menu.
    I've got Ballistix matched memory in mine running dual channel and Hyper
    threading.

    Steve Sweet, Apr 7, 2005
  8. Brian

    Mercury Guest

    Careful Richard. You nearly crashed the HDD on my laptop with that :)

    Mercury, Apr 8, 2005
  9. Brian

    Ian Guest

    No you haven't.

    Ian, Apr 8, 2005
  10. Exactly, there is no option for Hyper Threading on the SLI Giga board. There
    is an option for HTT = Hyper transport.

    Richard Dower, Apr 8, 2005
  11. Brian

    Ian Guest

    Yes, hyper-threading (AKA "HT Technology" - marketing term) is absolutely
    exclusively a feature of Intel.

    Ian, Apr 9, 2005