    have 2 wifi modems working on same line......i have tried using the db
    gain arials on ebay with extension cable attaced to wifi card but
    little differance....thanks for any help.....

    gram, Apr 27, 2009

  2. gram

    grampage Guest

    thanks for reply.....how do i change wifi chanel,,,,yes i have dsl
    modem

    grampage, Apr 28, 2009

  3. gram

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    typed on Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:23:33 -0700 (PDT):
    It is different depending on the make and model. Usually you type a IP
    address into your browser. So you should check your manual. Although
    best to do this with a computer wired to the WiFi/router. As when you
    change the channel, you will lose WiFi at least temporary.

    BillW50, Apr 28, 2009
  4. gram

    grampage Guest

    ok thanks...i bought a belkin reapeater....i checked some
    reviews ...they work well but are tricky to set up....i will give it
    ago.....thanks......i found this review ...may help someone''

    This works well. But it was a nightmare to set up. I must have spent
    about 10 hours on the phone to Belkin, which I was only able to do
    because it was during half-term. Eventually I worked out what to do
    printing out the manual and looking up users' opinions online.
    Once you have worked through it correctly, save the configuration and
    make a note of what you have done! The thought of trying to work it
    all out again...!
    Belkin help is available 24 hours a day. The quality of help is
    variable, though they are patient and pleasant. For anything apart
    from basic problems, ask to speak to a level 2 lab technician.
    1. Use the Quick Installation guide to get the repeater recognised.
    For this you need to disable security on your wired computer. Once it
    has connected to the modem router, the red light will stop blinking.
    You are now connected! But most people use security settings... If
    that includes you, then read on...
    2. For the next bit, print out pages 14 to 24 of the manual, and also
    page 35 to find out how to save your settings.
    3. You are likely to have a wired connection from a desktop computer
    to your main modem router. On this computer, go to Network Settings
    (under Control Panel), then to your (active) local area connection.
    Right click, and under Properties, edit the Internet Protocol (TCP/
    IP). At present you will have checked Obtain an IP address/ Obtain DNS
    server automatically. Change this. Enter the following IP address:
    192.168.2.50 (this is the one address you may have to check to see if
    it is correct); subnet 255.255.255.0; default gateway 192.168.2.254.
    You don't have to enter anything for Obtain the DNS server.
    4. Make a note of the wired modem security settings (e.g. WEP), the
    security password, and the name of the computer (e.g. Tony).
    5. Connect the range extender directly to your computer (this isn't
    mentioned in the manual). It is simplest to take the Ethernet cable
    from the modem router and put it into the Range extender. Use the
    Range Extender Utility and you should see the Extender recognised
    (click refresh if it doesn't appear).
    6. Load your browser and type in the URL 192.168.2.254
    7. This loads the range extender web-based utility. Look at the menu
    on the left and choose basic (login without bothering to enter a
    password - just press submit). Then look at SSID (two mentions on the
    same page) and where it says SSID give the exact same name as the
    modem router to the range extender (e.g. Tony). Then look at Security
    and give the exact same security settings (e.g. WEP) and password.
    8. Apply changes and look at these pages again to make sure they have
    been changed. You may have to apply changes a couple of times to make
    sure they take!
    9. Position the range extender half way to where you want to extend
    the rage. Mine is positioned about 20 metres away. That's quite far
    away, at the other end of the garden. The red light shouldn't blink
    once the extender connects with the main modem router.
    10. Now set up your laptop or whatever within connecting distance of
    the range extender.
    It took me about a long time to work this all out, and I have made
    these notes in case I ever have to do it again! It might sound
    discouraging, but if you follow these instructions it shouldn't take
    you more than 20 minutes to set up the range extender. Tony

    grampage, Apr 29, 2009
  5. gram

    Pete D Guest

    Personally I have two WiFi access points in the house, one is the ADSL
    modem/router and the other is a wireless router that is wired to the first
    router via CAT5 cable.

    Pete D, Apr 30, 2009
  6. gram

    GG WILLIKERS Guest

    Any wireless router can act as a repeater. You never mentioned your
    original make/model of existing router.

    While this guy set up some instructions, it also sounds like he didn't
    read the manual before he started.

    GG WILLIKERS, Apr 30, 2009
  7. gram

    grampage Guest

    in all the reviews on amazon apparently manual is useless and everyone
    uses the phone support which is very good

    im using the netgear that sky gave me......how do i set up another
    wireless router as a reapeater.....thanks for all your advice

    grampage, May 1, 2009