    good order. Now I need to find out the connection so that I can use it in my
    hobby projects. Is there a standard connection for such small LCD displays?

    Thanks.

    Krist Neot, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Krist Neot

    Art Guest

    Probably need to hack it a bit and see what results you experience. Maybe
    post to a "Digital Camera" N/Gs?

    Art, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Krist Neot

    Krist Neot Guest

    For such LCDs, is the display RAM usually implemented in the LCD panel
    or the camera manufacturer implements that in his camera's circuit board?

    Thanks

    Krist Neot, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Krist Neot

    larwe Guest

    For such LCDs, is the display RAM usually implemented in the LCD panel
    These LCDs invariably do NOT have on-board controllers and RAM. You
    need to drive it with an external video signal.

    larwe, Jun 8, 2005
  5. Krist Neot

    linnix Guest

    If it's less than 9 pins, probably VGA interface.

    If it's more than 9 pins, probably 12 or 16 bits Digital + H & V sync,
    etc.

    First step is to check if the signals are digital or analog.

    linnix, Jun 9, 2005
  6. Look at the panel's FPC (Flexible Plastic Connector). There should be
    a chip bonded to it -- that's the LCDC (Liquid Crystal Display
    Controller).

    Anyway, the LCDC generates panel voltages from incoming data. Most
    panels need something like the following:

    - Parallel data (6 or 8 bit)
    - Clock (anything from 500 kHz to 25 MHz)
    - Supply voltages. These are often suprisingly high, and if you
    connect them to the wrong pins you've got a dead panel.

    I work with small LCD panels (actually, I'm busy writing HDL for a
    LCDC at the moment) and I'll warn you: if you don't have a spec for
    the device you're quite likely to fry it or break it in other ways
    (for instance, most LC requires row-by-row voltage inversion to stop
    it from sticking).

    When we hook up competitors panels for testing we use a tool for
    hooking into the FPC to probe the signals being sent to it. It's
    pretty ridiculously expensive though.

    HTH,

    Peter

    Peter TB Brett, Jun 10, 2005