    Please help!

    Thanks in advance for any advice,

    Ed

    Edmund St. Geoge Willamus III, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Edmund St. Geoge Willamus III

    Mike Guest

    Knowing the model number of your computer would be helpful in trying
    to work out how much memory can be fitted.

    Mike

    Mike, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Edmund St. Geoge Willamus III

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, with a couple of lucky clicks, it is possible to find the specs for most
    models of HP computers at www.hp.com . Start with Drivers & Support on the HP
    home page. Among the specs are the number of DIMM sockets and the maximum
    capacity of DIMM which can be installed... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Thanks everyone for your advice. I've had a look and discover i need
    PC100 SDRAM and i have two slots available, at least i think i do.
    Just in case anyone can uncover anymore about my computer i'm running
    a Time Athlon 900 with a Microstar MS6195 motherboard. Thanks be to
    Balerc!

    Thanks again, Ed

    Edmund St. Geoge Willamus III, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Edmund St. Geoge Willamus III

    Ben Myers Guest

    If your system has only two DIMM sockets, any memory upgrade would require
    replacement of the existing 128MB modules, probably with a pair of 256MB.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 13, 2004
  6. I had a quick quikidy check and i've got three banks for memory and
    one totally free. So i'm replacing one of the 128mb with a 256mb SDRAM
    pc133 memory and a twin in the empty slot. Does anyone know the
    difference between pc100 and pc133, cos crucial seems to say i can
    have either, and 133 is cheaper. Thoughts?

    Edmund St. Geoge Willamus III, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Edmund St. Geoge Willamus III

    Ken Marsh Guest

    Hi,

    #I had a quick quikidy check and i've got three banks for memory and
    #one totally free. So i'm replacing one of the 128mb with a 256mb SDRAM
    #pc133 memory and a twin in the empty slot. Does anyone know the
    #difference between pc100 and pc133, cos crucial seems to say i can
    #have either, and 133 is cheaper. Thoughts?

    Generic PC133 can usually be used in PC100 banks, it just runs at PC100
    speed. I ran such a system, a 128M PC133 and two 128MB PC100's on a PII
    or PIII (I forget), for some months with zero problems. Eventually I
    upgraded the MB to something that could handle PC133.

    You can run SANDRA or similar memory benchmarking before and after to
    make sure there is no slowdown. Sometimes using the third bank can
    cause a slowdown, and sometimes swapping memory around can fix that.

    Ken.

    Ken Marsh, Jan 14, 2004