How do I get a replacement OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 from Gateway?

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Mark Fineman, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. Mark Fineman

    Mark Fineman Guest

    How do I get a replacement OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 from
    Gateway?

    The system disk on my Gateway 700S died and I need to install
    Windows XP Professional onto a blank hard drive.

    The system came with an OEM Windows XP Professional SP1 CD that
    came and was never used.

    The system is still under warranty for parts and labor.

    I found out that the CD was defective
    when I tried to use it. Gateway tells me they can't send me
    a replacement CD. They won't even sell me one. The say I
    had to tell them within 15 days of delivery of the system. They
    also said that any of the ways that I had to check the disk would
    have voided the warranty on the entire system, so there was no
    way I could have found out the disk was defective unless the
    system died within the first 15 days.

    All they could suggest was buying the full retail Windows XP
    Professional, which they swear is the same as the OEM version
    that I have, but which I know is different - i.e. they don't
    know what they are talking about.

    Mark Fineman, Mar 20, 2005

  2. Mark Fineman

    CapeGuy Guest

    Yes, welcome to Gateway country. Trouble? OK, go away!

    Owned 6 Gateways. Never will again though.

    CapeGuy, Mar 21, 2005

  3. The retail version will work just fine. Microsoft permits OEMs to
    replace media only for a short period of time after shipment.

    You will need to buy a new copy of XP - alternatively, find another
    Gateway owner, and make a copy of their CD - you can use the product key

    Edward J. Neth, Mar 21, 2005
  4. I had a similar thing happen with my 700XL. I didn't even think about using
    the Gateway-supplied "Recovery Disk" or whatever they call that thing.
    "System Disk" maybe. I just shelled out the bucks for Win XP Pro (the
    system originally came with XP Home), and NOT the bloomin' "Upgrade"
    abortion, either, but the full-up, start from a squeaky clean HD,
    CD-bootable version. Yeah, before you yell at me, I know it cost extra
    bucks, but I don't have any troubles about putting my system back together
    again should I have to.

    Good luck,

    Turner

    Turner Morgan, Mar 21, 2005
  5. Mark Fineman

    Tweek Guest

    The upgrade versions of Windows XP are EXACTLY the same as the full versions
    except they look for a previous version of windows when installing. They are
    even bootable. You can use them to install to an empty hard drive, all you
    need handy is any previous version of windows from 95 on up. The installer
    will ask for proof of a previous version. You stick in the old OS disc, it
    reads it for a few seconds to verify and then the install proceeds. Also,
    the Gateway Windows XP disc is pretty much exactly like the retail version,
    except it does not need to be activated when installed on a Gateway machine,
    the install is tied to the Gateway BIOS. It is a standalone copy of XP. The
    Gateway customizations are located on the Drivers and Applications discs.

    Tweek, Mar 21, 2005
  6. Mark Fineman

    Don Guest

    If you want to blame somebody, blame Microsoft. They make all the vendors
    sign licensing agreements, and are not allowed to replace operating system
    cd's after 15 days. Even if the tech tried to replace the cd it would never
    make it past order entry.

    Don, Mar 21, 2005
  7. Mark Fineman

    pengulin Guest

    Although I'm sure you've must have had this system for a couple of years or
    more, but I'll throw this in anyway.
    When I did Gateway tech support (about 3+ years ago), the standing rule was
    30 days for missing software and 90 days for defective media. So I don't
    know what happened in the last three years, but it wouldn't have helped in
    your case anyway. I do believe Gateway is locked into this way of doing
    thing because of its agreement with Microsoft. Like the guy said, if anyone
    other than yourself is to blame, it would be Microsoft.

    A good way of testing the media that when you first get your computer is to
    COPY the entire contents a disk to a folder on your HD. You can delete the
    folder when your done, if you like. If there are no problems copying the
    files, you can be reasonably certain that the disk is good. Then burn a copy
    of the disk and stash the original in a safe place. Use the Burned copy for
    routine installations.

    As for what you can do now, I just looked on EBAY, and there are quite a few
    full retail versions of XP Pro with unused/unactivated CD keys available for
    less than $100, some as low as $50.

    pengulin, Mar 21, 2005
  8. Source?
    The OEMs have options also.
    Do not blame everything on Microsoft, sometime it is simply the OEM saving
    money.

    Jupiter Jones, Mar 21, 2005
  9. Mark;
    Gateway has about a 1256 day time frame where you can get the CD for free.
    After that you can get the CD for shipping & handling, typically $25.
    However once the CDs are gone, the second option is gone because Gateway
    does not continue to make older CDs.
    Since SP-2 is out, the SP-1 may now be unavailable.

    Sometimes they are available on Ebay:
    http://search.ebay.com/gateway_Wind...sZ200QQsbrftogZ1QQsocdpfcatZ41882QQsofocusZbs

    Jupiter Jones, Mar 21, 2005
  10. Mark Fineman

    Tom Guest

    Great suggestion. I have been doing that since the days when programs
    came on 5 1/4 flops.

    I have a lock box at the local bank where all my originals are stored.
    At the office and home, I have all the copies. All the originals have
    been used but one time, when they were copied.

    Only once have I had a CD or DVD come damaged out of the box and it
    was a copy of Windoze BTW (back in the 98SE days). Found this out
    when making the first backup copy. Took it back to Orifice Depot
    within two hours of buying it there and they said they didn't take
    returns on opened software. So... I told them that if that was the
    case, I would put a stop on the credit card payment and keep the
    damaged disk so they couldn't get their replacement. Funny how quick
    their policy changed and a replacement was put in my hands.....

    Regards,

    Tom, Mar 21, 2005