How do I get rid of this error message at startup?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by bartbrn, Feb 17, 2010.

  1. bartbrn

    bartbrn Guest

    Like an idiot, I often download things I don't get around to trying
    until many days/weeks/months/years have passed. Such was the case last
    night when I found a zipped file for an item called
    "BroadbandOptimizer." I installed it and followed the instructions in
    Terminal, and restarted. The restart was fine, but I got an error
    message:

    "Insecure Startup Item disabled.

    “/Library/StartupItems/BroadbandOptimizer” has not been started
    because it does not have the proper security settings."

    I searched for the Startup Item "BroadbandOptimizer," but could not
    find it. I then looked for EVERYTHING with "BroadbandOptimizer" in its
    name, and trashed everything I found. Then I ran "Repair Disk
    Permissions" from Disk Utility, as Apple "Help" suggested, and
    restarted. Same error message, everytime I start up or restart.

    I tried the link in VersionTracker to the "Developer's Site," and
    received THIS error message:

    500 Failed to find appropriate redirect for 'GET
    http://tc.versiontracker.com/product/redir/kind/0/db/mac/id/12591/?null'
    REFERRER: 'http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12591'

    I then tried contacting "Enigmarelle Development" which is where the
    "Download Now" link on VersionTracker takes you (instead of the usual
    simple and immediate download from the VersionTracker page, without
    seeing any intermediary page). Enigmarelle Development turned out to
    be some generic feeder site that had no visible customer support link.
    I searched in their search box for "BroadbandOptimizer," and found 7
    items, none of which had anything to do with the Mac OS, and none of
    which had the item title "BroadbandOptimizer."

    Any idea how to get rid of the vestiges of this miserable mistake on
    my part, so I can get rid of the "Insecure Startup Item disabled"
    error message? BTW, when I click the "OK" button on this startup error
    message, everything seems to run just fine.

    Any help?

    Thanks!

    Bart Brown

    bartbrn, Feb 17, 2010

  2. bartbrn

    M-M Guest

    Did you check out the Login Items tab under Sys Prefs-> Accounts?

    M-M, Feb 17, 2010

  3. bartbrn

    M-M Guest

    Also, log in as a different user (create a test account) and see if it
    occurs then.

    M-M, Feb 17, 2010
  4. bartbrn

    E Z Peaces Guest

    Snow Leopard quarantines stuff downloaded from the internet, and that's
    why it's called an insecure item. You're probably lucky this one didn't
    start. Broadband Optimizer was for Panther and might have messed up
    your settings.

    I have Tiger. Most of what I would wrongly call my startup items are in
    the Applications folder, and my Accounts Preferences designate them
    Login Items. My StartupItems folder is in the Library folder whose icon
    appears when I double-click my HD icon.

    That folder contains only one item, a folder called
    QuickBackStartupItem. You have inspired me to try to find out what it is.

    E Z Peaces, Feb 17, 2010
  5. I don't know if this helps, but there are at least 2 Library/StartupItems
    folders to check (maybe 3).

    1) I think there can be one in your home directory, though I don't
    have one.

    2) There is /Library/StartupItems (mine has one thing in it, related
    to MYSQL)

    3) There is /System/Library/StartupItems (mine exists, but is empty).

    Doug Anderson, Feb 17, 2010
  6. Per-user startup items are usually configured in the Accounts system
    preference.
    I have ChmodBPF (part of Wireshark), DynDNSUpdater (used for updating
    dyndns.org, although I have since switched to using my router's built-in
    updater), HP IO (I think this is used by the driver for my HP USB
    printer), and Stunnel (a utility for automatically configuring SSL
    tunnels).
    Mine, too.

    The error message clearly says that his problem file is in #3.

    Barry Margolin, Feb 18, 2010
  7. bartbrn

    David Empson Guest

    There aren't any per-user "Startup Items", as Startup Items run before
    any user is logged in. (Hence there is no ~/Library/StartupItems folder,
    and if you create one it won't achieve anything.)

    The things you configure in System Preferences > Accounts are "Login
    Items", though confusingly, Apple called them "Startup Items" in early
    versions of Mac OS X despite being a completely different mechanism to
    real Startup Items.
    No it doesn't. It didn't mention "System". The file should be in #2 (the
    Library folder at the top level of the hard drive).

    Third party software should never touch /System/Library/StartupItems
    anyway.

    David Empson, Feb 18, 2010
  8. bartbrn

    bartbrn Guest

    Thanks to everyone -- someone on the Apple Snow Leopard discussions
    forum pointed me in the right direction, and I fixed the problem.
    Turns out there IS a "/Library/StartupItems" folder, but the way to
    find it is through the Finder: Go > Go to Folder..." > type or paste "/
    Library/StartupItems," and up it pops right up (there's supposed to be
    a way to find it in "Spotlight" by changing its preferences, but I
    haven't figured it out). At any rate, when the "/Library/StartupItems"
    folder popped up, there was the "Broadband Optimizer" folder, and a
    couple other items from 2 old programs I don't even have anymore, one
    from 2005, and one from 2007 -- the only way I can think of that they
    might have gotten there was when I did a Migration from one of my OS X
    10.4.x Tiger PBG4s.

    I trashed everything in the StartupItems folder, and re-started. No
    more error messages, StartupItems folder is empty, and I'm happy.

    Thanks again for all your suggestions.

    bartbrn, Feb 18, 2010
  9. bartbrn

    bartbrn Guest

    Addendum --

    Don't know why I was such a dunce, but I have a tendency to use
    "Find..." whenever I'm looking for something that isn't obvious. If I
    had simply double-clicked my hard drive, I would have seen the
    "Startup Items" folder right there in plain sight. Duh.

    Bart

    bartbrn, Feb 18, 2010
  10. You can also find it by clicking on the Library folder in the startup
    disk's window, and then typing "St".

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 18, 2010