    nothing to lose (except cost of repl. M/B

    It is a Toshiba Satellite P3 Celeron about 4yrs old

    Many Thank

    jakey777, Feb 19, 2006

  2. jakey777

    Quaoar Guest

    jakey777 wrote:
    > Hi, I have a laptop that does not power up, and have been told that
    > this could be a motherboard issue, as this is also where the power is
    > supplied from. I can't afford to send it away to be looked at as I'm
    > getting estimates of upto £200+ which I can't afford. I was
    > contemplating doing it myself, by buying a used motherboard. My
    > question is...
    >
    > 1. If I open up the laptop will it be straight forward to identify the
    > motherboard, ie. serial no/model no/ etc??
    >
    > 2. With no experience is this too much to take on.. although I have
    > nothing to lose (except cost of repl. M/B)
    >
    > It is a Toshiba Satellite P3 Celeron about 4yrs old!
    >
    > Many Thanks

    "Toshiba Sattelite P3 Celeron" isn't going to be adequate. Somewhere
    there is a model number. Look at the bottom tags for the actual model
    number. Barring better advice, eBay for a board with the exact model
    number you find. The serial number at Toshiba customer support might
    provide the model number.

    Quaoar, Feb 19, 2006

  3. It's not like desktops; you can't replace the motherboard with any
    motherboard other than a genuine toshiba motherboard for that same exact
    model of laptop. The only way you will find one "cheap" is on E-Bay,
    and most likly by buying another entire laptop of the same model with a
    broken screen (or the motherboard from such a laptop that the previous
    owner is "parting out").

    Barry Watzman, Feb 19, 2006
  4. jakey777

    Eric H Guest

    "jakey777" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a laptop that does not power up, and have been told that
    > this could be a motherboard issue, as this is also where the power is
    > supplied from. I can't afford to send it away to be looked at as I'm
    > getting estimates of upto £200+ which I can't afford. I was
    > contemplating doing it myself, by buying a used motherboard. My
    > question is...
    >
    > 1. If I open up the laptop will it be straight forward to identify the
    > motherboard, ie. serial no/model no/ etc??
    >
    > 2. With no experience is this too much to take on.. although I have
    > nothing to lose (except cost of repl. M/B)
    >
    > It is a Toshiba Satellite P3 Celeron about 4yrs old!
    >
    > Many Thanks

    IMHO it is not worth spending money on it. You might as well put it on ebay
    & get what you can for it and buy a new one with better specification for
    not much more than it would cost to repair.
    If you get a motherboard from a dubious source other than the manufacturer,
    how do you know if it is good and does not have an intermittent fault on it?
    I think you would be throwing good money away. What would be the value of
    the laptop if you did fix it?

    Take my advice.

    Eric H, Feb 20, 2006
  5. jakey777

    Bob Guest

    Eric H wrote:

    > "jakey777" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi, I have a laptop that does not power up, and have been told that
    >>this could be a motherboard issue, as this is also where the power is
    >>supplied from. I can't afford to send it away to be looked at as I'm
    >>getting estimates of upto £200+ which I can't afford. I was
    >>contemplating doing it myself, by buying a used motherboard. My
    >>question is...
    >>
    >>1. If I open up the laptop will it be straight forward to identify the
    >>motherboard, ie. serial no/model no/ etc??
    >>
    >>2. With no experience is this too much to take on.. although I have
    >>nothing to lose (except cost of repl. M/B)
    >>
    >>It is a Toshiba Satellite P3 Celeron about 4yrs old!
    >>
    >>Many Thanks
    >>

    > IMHO it is not worth spending money on it. You might as well put it on ebay
    > & get what you can for it and buy a new one with better specification for
    > not much more than it would cost to repair.
    > If you get a motherboard from a dubious source other than the manufacturer,
    > how do you know if it is good and does not have an intermittent fault on it?
    > I think you would be throwing good money away. What would be the value of
    > the laptop if you did fix it?
    >
    > Take my advice.

    If your screen is still good, you can probably get as much
    for your broken machine as it will cost you to buy a newer
    used one. As the previous poster said, with a new mother
    board (of unknown origin), your machine won't be worth much
    more than it is now - it will still be a P3 Celeron.
    Best put your money towards a newer machine, used or new.

    Bob, Feb 20, 2006