    I just used Carbon Copy Cloner, and I'm trying to test out my backup
    disk. How do I know for sure if I booted from the backup or the
    original, without completely removing the original?

    amiga500, Jul 21, 2003

  2. amiga500

    matt neuburg Guest

    In the Finder, hit Command-Shift-G and type /System and hit return.
    Whatever disk you find yourself on, that is the boot disk. m.

    matt neuburg, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Run Apple System Profiler. In the "System Profile" section, one of the
    entries is "Boot volume".

    Tom Harrington, Jul 21, 2003
  4. amiga500

    Pique Guest

    How about going to your home folder (shift-command-H in the finder) and
    checking the path from there. (command up-arrow takes you up a folder,
    or if you have path in your finder windows you could look at that.

    Pique, Jul 21, 2003
  5. Or if Terminal doesn't scare you:

    -> df
    Filesystem 512-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s10 7167328 5678608 1488720 79% /
    devfs 65 65 0 100% /dev
    fdesc 2 2 0 100% /dev
    <volfs> 1024 1024 0 100% /.vol
    /dev/disk0s9 4095616 3449144 646472 84% /Volumes/HFS-9
    /dev/disk0s11 1965886 1511592 356000 80% /Volumes/UFS-X
    automount -fstab [308] 0 0 0 100% /Network/Servers
    automount -static [308] 0 0 0 100% /automount

    The disk you booted from is mounted on /
    (usually the first line) The left-hand
    column is the physical partition.

    Wesley Groleau, Jul 22, 2003
  6. amiga500

    nick hull Guest

    I always use a different desktop pattern so I al;ways know instantly
    which booted.

    nick hull, Jul 22, 2003
  7. amiga500

    Philo D Guest

    Wow. Back in the days when we booted from floppies I used to do that.
    When the desktop pattern changed, I knew my boot volume had changed...

    Philo D, Jul 22, 2003