    how can i make an image so it can be read perfectly from windows and
    solaris box.

    thank you in advance,,,

    hsong30, Sep 11, 2003

  2. There probably is a way, although I've never found it, despite having
    played with the setting under Adaptec's Easy CD creator. What I do is
    tar all the files up into one big tar file, then write that to CD. It
    means I have to untar them to read them, but that is no real problem.

    --
    The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
    they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge.

    Dr. David Kirkby,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Department of Medical Physics,
    University College London,
    11-20 Capper St, London, WC1E 6JA.
    Website: http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~davek
    Author of 'atlc' http://atlc.sourceforge.net/

    Dr. David Kirkby, Sep 12, 2003

  3. A basic ISO-9660 filesystem cannot handle long filenames itself. You
    normally use RockRidge extensions to support long filenames on Unix
    systems. (Microsoft uses its own Joliet extensions for similar
    purposes.) I'm not familiar with the Windows software you mention, but
    if you can turn on RockRidge extensions, do so. There's no reason why
    you can't use both RockRidge and Joliet extensions on the same disk,
    AFAIK.

    John-Paul Stewart, Sep 12, 2003
  4. hsong30

    Scott Howard Guest

    Yup, another case of MS ignoring readily-available standards and coming
    up with their own.

    Windows uses "Joliet" for long filenames, whilst Solaris (and most of the
    rest of the world) use "Rockridge". By default most windows software will
    burn with Joliet only, whilst most Unix software will do RR only by default.
    Enable both Joliet and Rockridge on the CD when making the ISO. The two
    can co-exist, and then each OS will read whichever extention is requires to
    get the long filenames.

    Scott

    Scott Howard, Sep 13, 2003
  5. hsong30

    Glenn Guest

    + On 12-Sep-03 15:35:02
    Alot of windowssoftware for creating CD's are broken in this respect,
    at least it was.. I have seen at least two different windowsprograms that
    either created defective RR-discs, or claimed that "8+3 filenames is
    maximum with rockridge"..

    But with a working CD-creation software it should be fine with RR if
    your files "fit into" the limitations of rockridge..

    Glenn, Sep 13, 2003
  6. hsong30

    Barry Guest

    I've managed to get Rock Ridge burned on windows (see below), but I
    typically did the same thing - just put things in tar files and burned
    them using iso9660 format. In case you want to try Rock Ridge or a
    combined Rock Ridge/Joliet, here are a few pointers that may help
    (YMMV of course)

    - Try the windows port of mkisofs - it may seem a bit clunky, but it
    works fine. Find it at
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/rhjol/mkisofs-win32.zip . Actually I found it
    on the parent page http://www.rodsbooks.com/rhjol/rhjol-cd.html ,
    which has helpful info (just to give credit where it's due).

    - Check out the CDR-FAQ at http://www.cdrfaq.org. In particular,
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq06.html lists about (conservatively) 8
    billion different CD burning packages for windows. Who knew? Anyway,
    at least a dozen of them claim support for both Joliet and Rock Ridge
    (among others) - I haven't tried any, but some might even work.

    Hope this helps,

    Barry Hemphill

    Barry, Sep 15, 2003