    I want to do this without disturbing Service Pack 3, current software,
    settings. What is the simplest way to do this with this setup?

    David

    geercom, Dec 24, 2008

  2. geercom

    Adrian C Guest

    On a standard XP install disc, booting from it (previously setting a CD
    drive first in the machines default boot order), will arrive at screen
    offering you the ability to 'repair' the installation.

    You don't really want this, or other ways to run the system file checker
    unless you really are suffering stability problems. The Microsoft
    'repair' cure sometimes is more fatal than the disease.
    If you really want to 'spring clean' everything, IMO your only option is
    to back everything up, find installation files/media for your critical
    applications, and do a download of all the service packs and slipstream
    them into your XP start up disc up to SP3. Find out about the freeware
    program nLite.

    Then reinstall. Good moment to upgrade memory before doing so.

    Adrian C, Dec 25, 2008

  3. geercom

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed: