    and a desktop. I am used to just having the desktop and everything (emails,
    documents etc) stored on it alone.

    Jonathan Klein

    Jonathan Klein, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Jonathan Klein

    Andrew Guest

    : I just bought a laptop (used IBM TP 600E). I want to transfer files from my
    : old (actually archaic) desktop to my laptop and the reverse way also.

    : I have a 3Com ISA Ethernet card in my desktop, a 3Com PCMCIA Ethernet card
    : in my laptop and a cable to connect the two. I have Windows NT 4.0 on the
    : desktop and Windows 2000 on the laptop.

    : Do I have everything I need to do what I want to do? If so, can somebody let
    : me know what I need to do to do it?

    What kind of cable do you have? You need what is called a "Crossover
    Cable" - which looks like a regular ethernet cable but has a few wires
    crossed (to mimic a hub). You can get such cables at Best Buy,
    CompUSA, Fry's, etc. for relatively cheap.

    And that should be all you need, hardware-wise, to connect and network
    the two computers. The hard part will be the OS setup of TCP/IP
    networking. Try http://www.practicallynetworked.com . There are other
    tutorials out there.

    : Further to this, is this the preferred way to transfer files between a
    : desktop and laptop (ie: via ethernet cards and a cable? Being that I am a
    : new laptop owner I am looking for advice on how to live with both a laptop
    : and a desktop. I am used to just having the desktop and everything (emails,
    : documents etc) stored on it alone.

    Once you get the networking functioning, you can transfer files with
    Windows explorer. You will have to mark certain folders and drives as
    shared, but once you do that you can drag and drop files between
    computers just like you do between folders on the same computer.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Sep 2, 2003

  3. I just have a regular cable (one that goes from my cable modem to the 3Com
    card on my desktop). I'll have to pick up a crossover cable.

    So do most people use a crossover cable to transfer files between laptop and
    desktop? What if I bought a hub to connect both my desktop and laptop to?
    Would that work also?

    -Jonathan

    Jonathan Klein, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Jonathan Klein

    Robert Toy Guest

    If you don't have or intend to hook up more than two computers at one
    time, then a hub would be a waste of money for you. If you are also
    interested in sharing your internet connection with your laptop, there
    are several options depending on the capabilities of your cable modem.
    Check with your service provider or your modem manufacturer on this issue.

    Robert Toy, Sep 7, 2003