    tried to auto detect them, but they wouldnt show. The desktop har
    drive is set as Master. Why wouldnt BIOS or CMOS be able to see m
    main hard drive? What am I missing here

    ReBooteD, Jan 21, 2006

  2. ReBooteD

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:TuzAf.132444$
    When I upgraded the drive in my laptop, I bought a cheap external case
    with a USB-IDE interface for the old drive and simply plugged it into
    the USB port.

    Lots simpler than trying to install it as an internal drive and you can
    use it as portable storage once you're done with the recovery.

    Bert Hyman, Jan 21, 2006

  3. ReBooteD

    Tony Guest

    Laptop drives have master/slave settings too, but if you just install
    it on a different cable than your main hard drive, you shouldn't have
    to deal with that. If you've got them both on the same cable, a fight
    is likely, and that sounds like what's happening.

    Also, just because the drive still spins doesn't mean it still works.
    But check the configuration first.

    I also have a USB adapter that hooks up to both 2.5" and 3.5" hard
    drives, and it works well. It should be noted however that it does not
    provide the same low-level functionality of a direct internal adapter.
    Have one of those as well, and I use both of them.

    Good luck!

    Tony, Jan 22, 2006
  4. You probably have both drives set to master. Put the laptop's hard
    drive by itself on the other IDE channel (the one that is probably
    normally used by your CD or DVD drive, which you can temporarily
    disconnect).

    Barry Watzman, Jan 22, 2006
  5. As Tony said, your laptop drive is configured for master as well, so
    there's a conflict. Can you put the laptop drive on the CD-Rom IDE
    drive cable, and copy the files that way?

    William P.N. Smith, Jan 22, 2006
  6. Buy a USB 2 box for the 2.5" notebook drive.

    Can be as cheap as $12

    =?iso-8859-15?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=, Jan 22, 2006
  7. ReBooteD

    E Brown Guest

    Where the heck have YOU been all this time? :)

    E Brown, Jan 23, 2006
  8. Some other newsgroups and building up some sites.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=, Jan 24, 2006