    Bloomite Guest

    iMovie 4 won't let me import mpegs. Is there a utility to convert mpegs into
    a Quicktime format that iMovie will import?

    Bloomite, Jul 3, 2004

  2. QuickTime Player can convert them, if you have the right codec installed to
    be able to play that type of MPEG file (could be MPEG-1, MPEG-2, or
    MPEG-4). Use the File->Export command and choose "Movie to DV Stream".
    It'll save the movie as a .DV file that can be read by iMovie. Make sure
    you have lots of disk space available, because it'll need about 200MB per
    minute of video.

    Wayne C. Morris, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Bloomite

    sbt Guest

    Toast 6 will convert to DV Stream, if you put the MPEG in the Video
    pane and click the Export button.

    If it's MPEG-2, DVDxDV (or DVDxDV Pro) will also do the job.

    There are probably others as well.

    Be aware that iMovie won't take DV Streams larger than 2GB, so if the
    MPEG is more than about nine and a half minutes, you're going to have
    to split it. There are utilities that can do that, or you can do it
    manually in QT Player Pro -- manually lets you pick the "scene breaks"
    rather than doing the cutting based strictly on size.

    sbt, Jul 4, 2004
  4. Bloomite

    Bloomite Guest

    Many thanks for the tips. That's a huge help. I always wondered what the
    DVStream codec was for.
    Now if I could only play wmv files with the wmv3 codec on OS X, everything I
    read says there's no converter available for OS X so I'm waiting for a G5
    compatible version of Virtual PC to come out.

    Bloomite, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Bloomite

    Bloomite Guest

    One more question, I sometimes download Mpeg movies that are 2 minutes in
    length (for example) but when you open it in Quicktime Player it shows only
    the first 10 seconds. Strangely enough if you move the scrubber back and
    forth you can sometimes see further into the clip past 10 seconds.

    If you open the MPEG in VLC or MPlayer it plays all 2 minutes. In the
    Quicktime Get Movie Properties menu option is says it's an MPEG1 Muxed track.

    Can anyone explain this? Is there a Quicktime or MPEG FAQ that goes into
    detail?

    Thanks for all the tips

    Bloomite, Jul 4, 2004
  6. Bloomite

    sbt Guest

    I can explain it, but there really isn't a great solution other than
    using a less strict client than QT Player.

    Some (used to be "many") MPEG files are created by improperly
    concatenating shorter MPEG files. Lots of (primarily Windows-based)
    tools don't properly deal with the MPEG headers, such as correcting the
    information, eliminating the intermediate headers of the files being
    joined, and similar details.

    Rosetta (by the same developer as Thoth, and also pulled from
    distribution) did a pretty good job of finding these "bad" join points,
    resplitting the files, and allowing you to correctly rejoin.

    VCDGearX can also repair some of them; however, it is also prone to
    badly mangling really poor joins. Fortunately, you can direct the
    output to a different file, so the result isn't catastrophic unless you
    set it to overwrite the original.

    sbt, Jul 4, 2004