How do the various vendors distinguish themselves?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Aloke Prasad, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. Aloke Prasad

    Aloke Prasad Guest

    I am looking for a 128 MB or 256 MB GeForce FX5600 card for a new system
    that I'm building. GoogleGear shows products from Abit, Leadtek, Albatron,
    Chaintech, PNY, eVGA, Gainward, MSI, and Asus.

    http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=012205

    All of these are approx $200 or so. I don't intend to do much gaming,
    rather I'll be doing video capture and editing from DV camera and archiving
    those to DVD..

    How/why would one pick one over the other?

    I'm currently deciding between Gainward FX PowerPack! Ultra/760 XP Golden
    Sample GeForce FX 5600

    http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322452

    and Asus V9560 VideoSuite

    http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=320459

    They are both similar in cost and features.

    Which one (of these or from other manufacturers) should I pick?

    Who makes the most stable, high quality product? I'm not keen on saving $20
    or $30 (over a system costing me ~$2000). Quality of drivers, BIOS,
    utilities etc is more important ...

    Would going for 256 MB of memory be worth the extra $?

    Thanks.

    Aloke Prasad, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Aloke Prasad

    ho alexandre Guest

    The asus is quite silent compared to other cards made with FX5600. And
    there are many games included (like Morrowind of Black Thorne or WORMS
    Blast).

    No, it won't. I don't know any game that loads up to 256MB of textures
    on a single map. (or maybe if you play 16 people each having their own
    model on a map as big as a Tribes2 one in UT2003).

    ho alexandre, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Aloke Prasad

    Aloke Prasad Guest

    Would you rank Asus as the best among equals?

    Aloke Prasad, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Aloke Prasad

    Biz Guest

    If gaming is not a concern of yours, why even waste all the money on one of
    those cards when they have no effect on capture and editing? A GF4 ti4200
    VIVO is more than adequate for your needs.

    Biz, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Aloke Prasad

    Aloke Prasad Guest

    The basic question remains: Buy an NVIDIA based product from whom?

    Who makes the best Nvidia cards? Both well designed and well supported ..

    Aloke Prasad, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Aloke Prasad

    ho alexandre Guest

    Aloke Prasad wrote :
    I cannot say, it wa the best choice for me, for what cares for me
    (silence, Morrowind, and good overall quality). For instance I didn't
    look if that card supports overclocking because I don't care.

    ho alexandre, Sep 2, 2003
  7. Aloke Prasad

    Strontium Guest

    In my opinion, Asus.

    -
    Aloke Prasad stood up at show-n-tell, in
    <snip>

    Strontium, Sep 2, 2003
  8. Aloke Prasad

    Anybody Guest

    yup

    Anybody, Sep 3, 2003
  9. Aloke Prasad

    Tim Draper Guest

    if i was buying now, i`d get a dx9 supported card.

    i`ve had creative labs gf1 256 sdr when the gf series was first released,
    then an abit (i think) gf2 mx400/440, and now a chaintech gf4 ti4200 128mb
    agp4x.
    all have been as rock solid as anything you care to mention.

    i`ve not owned, had experience, or even used a high end gfx card like the
    asus or leadtech or gainward gldn sample, but from what i`ve seen from
    'standard' cards, any nvidia based card is good.

    personally, i`d go with gainward, cuz the golden sample versions are good
    for overclocking, which is what i do. as for the asus brand : i`ve had 2
    asus made mainboards (a7v333 and now a7n8x-deluxe), and i wouldnt consider
    anything else, and i highly recommend them to anyone who asks.

    the gffx5600 is basically a gf4 ti4200 anyway, but with dx9 capability.
    256mb aint worth it for what you want - you dont do high-res gaming (apart
    from barely any games, if any, will use the 256mb) or high res graphic
    design.
    upto you which you decide to go with between dx8 (gf4) or dx9 (gffx)
    features

    tim

    Tim Draper, Sep 3, 2003
  10. Aloke Prasad

    Aloke Prasad Guest

    So far, a GF FX5600 based 128 meg card from Asus is the leading candidate

    Aloke Prasad, Sep 3, 2003