How do we get the free Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) upgrade?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, Sep 19, 2012.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    My client finally got his new 13" MacBook Pro (MBP) from his unversity's
    computer store today. So far, it works. We're not quite ready to migrate
    from the old 15" MacBook Pro (2008) yet. We will do it on the weekend
    when there are more free time.

    We also noticed it is running on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). Since this 13"
    MBP was bought in person today, that means the 10.8 (Mountain Lion) will
    be free within 30 days. Is
    https://uptodate.apple.com/UtdPrepareAction?program=Mountain Lion&locale=en_us
    the correct place for this free upgrade for purchases from a
    university's computer store? Or is there another web page for that?
    Also, is the order instant or will we have to wait (want to upgrade
    right away instead of later on)?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "It doesn't matter what your D&D manual says, you did not get 5
    experience points for killing the giant ant in your kitchen." --BBspot's

    Ant, Sep 19, 2012

  2. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    Yes, as long as the store is an Apple Authorised Reseller. (If not, you
    aren't eligible for the free upgrade.)

    You might need to send Apple a copy of the receipt, but someone I helped
    with this who bought a new iMac from a retailer didn't need to do
    anything other than fill in the New Zealand equivalent of that form.
    If Apple needs a copy of the receipt, expect a longer delay for it to be
    processed (perhaps next business day).

    There will be a minimum delay of a few minutes, but Apple says "up to 24
    hours". If Apple approves the free copy without sighting the receipt,
    you should receive two e-mail messages. One contains a password
    protected PDF, and the other has the password. Open the PDF, entering
    the password when prompted. Inside the PDF is a redemption code which
    you use in App Store (on the new Mac) to add Mountain Lion to your Apple
    ID's list of purchased apps. Click on the "Redeem" link on the right
    side of the App Store (under the "Quick Links" heading).

    In the process, you will need to set up an App Store account (tied to an
    Apple ID, which is an e-mail address with a password to be used when
    signing on to Apple services).

    You can choose "None" as the payment method. (You will be able to get
    free apps, but will need to enter payment details such as a credit card
    or iTunes gift card to get paid apps.)

    Once you have set up the App Store account, signed in, and entered the
    redemption code, Mountain Lion will start downloading immediately, and
    the installer will run automatically when downloaded (it is about 4.4
    GB).

    If you want to keep a copy of the installer so you can re-use it without
    having to download it again, quit the installer at the point it runs
    automatically, and drag it out of the Applications folder. It is called
    "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app".

    (If you proceed with installation and the installer was in the
    Applications folder, it is automatically deleted once the installation
    is complete. It isn't deleted if the installer is located elsewhere.)

    When ready to install, run the installer again and follow the prompts.
    It should take somewhat less than an hour to install. There will be a
    restart during the install, and once done you will be up and running on
    Mountain Lion.

    David Empson, Sep 19, 2012

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I assume it is since it is a big university: http://www.usc.edu/ and
    http://www.uscbookstore.com/site_computer_store.asp ... They do sell
    Apple stuff.

    Ah OK.

    Can it be scanned and sent electronically?

    I assume Apple's Preview can handle password protected PDFs, and not
    with bloated Adobe Reader. I never opened one in Mac OS X.

    Yikes, that is a big file! I assume ordering it has to be on the new Mac
    too or can it be on any computer? I know downloading and installing has
    to be on the new MBP. I don't want to mess with the new HDD yet (just
    want to upgrade, install, and then do the data migration from the old MBP).

    Up to an hour? Wow. I don't remember it taking that long on a Mac Mini
    in VMware Fusion v4.x.
    --
    "I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find
    tractors small enough to fit it." --Steven Wright

    Ant, Sep 19, 2012
  4. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    I don't know for sure as we didn't need to do that. The wording on the
    Apple page you linked implies they expect a scanned and emailed copy of
    the receipt.
    We opened the PDF using Preview on 10.7. It asked for the password.

    I don't know if Preview on 10.5 can read password protected PDFs.
    About 10% bigger than Lion.
    The order can be placed using any computer with a web browser and e-mail
    access. You will need the serial number of the new computer which is
    eligible for the programme.

    The PDF can be opened using any computer and software able to read
    password protected PDFs.

    The redemption code must be entered using App Store on the new computer
    eligible for the programme, using the Apple ID of the owner of the
    computer (the copy of Mountain Lion will be assigned to that Apple ID).
    From other threads I gather you are planning to manually copy files
    rather than using Migration or Setup Assistant to automatically copy
    things over.

    If you want to migrate the user account using Migration/Setup Assistant
    it is best to do that at the point you set up the new computer, before
    doing anything else (including installing any OS upgrades/updates).

    If you have already gone through the initial setup and created a new
    user account, then you can use Migration Assistant to copy the account
    from the old computer, but it will have some complications due to
    potential conflicts with the short account name (if you used the same
    one) and user ID (which is very likely to have a conflict).

    To provide more details I'll need to know more about what you have done
    on the new computer so far, if you have used the same short account
    name, and confirm which user IDs have been used by the accounts on each
    computer.

    You can find out the user ID by running the following command in
    Terminal:

    id -u

    David Empson, Sep 19, 2012
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I will be doing Migration Assistant (already booted up MBP so no Setup)
    for user accounts (data). Then, manually copy the rest if needed.

    Really? Even if the updates have bug fixes and in the latest versions?

    I already made a new administrator account that doesn't exist on the old
    MBP's Mac OS X 10.5.8.

    All we did was: Booted up, went through its wizard (did not connect to
    the network though), made a new account that doesn't exist on the old
    MBP, checked Mac OS X version, and shut it down. We just wanted to see
    if it worked in case have to return it or whatever. Oh and charge it
    with power AC. ;)
    --
    "She's got ants in her pants." --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Sep 19, 2012
  6. Ant

    Paul Sture Guest

    I am outside the US so was given a different address, but the following
    appears to be the US equivalent:

    <http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate>

    Note that it mentions "Apple Authorized Reseller". If in doubt, ask the
    university's computer store themselves.

    Paul Sture, Sep 19, 2012
  7. A word of warning, although this situation probably won't apply to most
    people.

    My wife and I bought our niece her first Mac for her 18th birthday,
    since she was going to be starting university.

    I said I'd set it up fr her. So I registered it in her name. Then,
    since she didn't yet have an Apple ID, I tried to do the upgrade using
    my ID.

    Major mistake. To cut a long story short, I had to set up her Apple ID,
    and start again from scratch using that.

    Paul Magnussen

    Paul Magnussen, Sep 19, 2012
  8. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Apple will almost certainly only need the serial number of the computer.
    You can order the code on any computer. You can redeem the code on any
    computer that is running OS X 10.6.8 or later, and you can download the
    installer on any computer that is able to install 10.8. This is an
    annoying limitation that I hope Apple will do something about so that,
    for example, someone can download their purchases at work on a fast
    connection and sneaker-net them home on a USB thumb drive.
    "Up to" is fair. Probably closer to 40 minutes, but it varies.

    Lewis, Sep 19, 2012
  9. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Really? I registered my wife's computer n er name and then set it up
    with my Apple ID (since my Apple ID is the one all the purchases are
    on). I don't recall any problems.

    Lewis, Sep 19, 2012
  10. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Sure. I assume I will use the one in Mac OS X's About This Mac.

    That is what I wanted to do. Fast speed and no caps. :)

    OK. Well, this a new fast MBP with pretty nothing on its HDD since its
    manufactory. ;)
    --
    Quote of the Week: "Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Sep 19, 2012
  11. Lewis wrote:

    Yes, really: I couldn't get the download queued. Unfortunately, I don't
    now recall exactly what my steps were.

    I'm glad you didn't have a problem.

    Paul Magnussen

    Paul Magnussen, Sep 20, 2012
  12. Ant

    Paul Sture Guest

    FWIW on my Mac Mini this step was an estimated 36 minutes, and that
    turned out to be reasonably accurate.

    Paul Sture, Sep 20, 2012
  13. Ant

    Paul Sture Guest

    The "None" wasn't blindingly obvious to me, but it's easy to spot once
    you know it is there.

    Before I created an App Store account, I could run Software update,
    which brought down stuff for OS X itself. However, though I could see
    updates there for the iLife products, it wouldn't let me download those
    until I had created an App Store account.

    Paul Sture, Sep 20, 2012
  14. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Yes, as long as the store is an Apple Authorised Reseller. (If not, you
    We got it fast last night with the code. ;)

    They did not ask for it. Wow. :)

    Wait, will he have to login with another account or be reusing the same
    Apple ID account that is tied to it?

    He does have that free $100 App Store gift card.

    Thanks. Is this installer tied to the account owner/MBP? Or is this the
    same installer that everyone gets? I wonder if we can just get someone's
    copy and/or share it to avoid the long 4.4 GB download. Also, does Apple
    post the latest version like the latest v10.8.2 to skip the updates from
    v10.8.0?

    OK, I will have to move that installer (don't want to copy since it is
    huge) if we decide to download it.

    Ant, Sep 21, 2012
  15. Ant

    Ant Guest

    OK, we got the free upgrade e-mails and code, but we haven't used it
    yet. Can we use another Mac and Mac OS X account to redeem and download
    this huge file? Then, copy it to the new MBP to upgrade? Or does it have
    to be on the new MacBook Pro and same account like the old MBP?

    Do I assume the online Apple ID account is the same one used in iTunes,
    buying new non-free iOS upgrades, old MacBook registration, etc.? If so,
    then he has an Apple ID account already.
    --
    "This is the ant. Treat it with respect. For it may very well be the
    next dominant lifeform of our planet." --Empire of the Ants movie

    Ant, Sep 21, 2012
  16. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Yes, but you do not want to use a different account because then THAT
    account will own the product. As long as the mac can run 10.8, you can
    download it. Create a new account, set it up with the Apple ID, and
    download 10.8.
    And that's the one you want to use so that he owns it.

    Lewis, Sep 22, 2012
  17. Ant

    Ant Guest

    OK. We used the new MBP's 10.7.3's new account (haven't done any
    migrations yet) and his old Apple ID account for App Store. We saw the
    old account data so we redeemed the free Mt. Lion/v10.8.2 upgrade, $100
    gift card, and it acknowledged the preinstalled iLife programs (couldn't
    update them because they required newer Mac OS X 10.7 versions).

    Done. He couldn't remember his password at first. Oy.
    --
    "Stir up an ant's nest." --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Sep 22, 2012