    icon?

    Thanks
    Rog

    Roger, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Roger

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    I am typically not one to recommend a product, however, I got a CMS
    ABSplus 120 GB backup with my new computer, and really like it. With
    their software, it created a bootable backup of my entire drive, and
    is now set for incremental backups. Our system administrator also
    uses Retrospect to backup our HDs to tape weekly, but accessing data
    from tape backups is not as easy as accessing it from the CMS drive.

    Bev

    Bev A. Kupf, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Roger

    Hugh Milsom Guest

    Deja Vu? Works well for me!

    hjm

    Hugh Milsom, Nov 1, 2003
  4. Roger

    Pat Janes Guest

    Carbon Copy Cloner does a good job. It's $5 shareware.

    Pat Janes, Nov 1, 2003
  5. Roger

    Guest Guest

    Deja Vu and an external drive or optical drive is a very nice
    combination.

    If you want to back-up the entire drive to another to make a bootable
    drive, Carbon Copy Cloner is good too - but it is slow enough that I
    don't use it as a part of my regular backup routine.

    For that, Deja Vu is perfect. Basically I use CCC to backup my entire
    drive to an external FW drive once every couple of months. My data I
    backup daily with Deja Vu.

    Guest, Nov 2, 2003
  6. Roger

    stan Guest

    This depends on your needs, the nature of your files, amount of data
    involved, and your storage hardware. Dragging and dropping works well
    for me.

    stan, Nov 2, 2003
  7. Roger

    clw Guest

    Second that. Using Toast 5.2.1 with X.2.6. Drag and drop works
    perfectly. Never had a file, data, music, pictures etc that did not
    burn successfully.

    clw, Nov 2, 2003
  8. How do you backup your OS, though?

    Paolo

    Paolo G. Cordone, Nov 2, 2003
  9. So, let's say you install something that trashes vital parts of the library
    or the System itself. Do you reinstall and reconfigure the entire thing every
    time?

    Paolo

    Paolo G. Cordone, Nov 3, 2003
  10. Roger

    Paul Brandon Guest

    So that you can restore your hard drive if it gets terminally hosed and
    needs reformatting. Retrospect has saved my a$$ more than once ('tho not
    on OSX yet).

    Paul Brandon, Nov 3, 2003
  11. Have fun, then.

    I have other things to do than spend hours re-configuring my system, re-set
    all prefs, settings, etc.
    Moreover, I might not even remember all the pieces of software I might have
    installed at any one time. No thanks, I let Retrospect take care of that.
    That's what computers are for!

    Paolo

    Paolo G. Cordone, Nov 4, 2003
  12. Carbon copy cloner is a wonderful application. I use it for creating
    duplicates regularly. It does not create a history, so if you need
    that, you need to rethink, but it is a great way to make an image of
    your disk as it was at a given time.

    (If you like it, pay the $5 or $10 Mike asks. I did, for both of my
    machines.)

    Scott

    Java, Cocoa, WebObjects, database custom apps and consulting

    Scott Ellsworth, Nov 4, 2003
  13. Evidence for this being...?

    Paolo

    Paolo G. Cordone, Nov 8, 2003
  14. Well, I use a source control system for documents. It not only gives me
    a backup, but it gives me document history.

    I don't bother to backup anything else -- the only thing really
    vulnerable is my email, which I manually back up before doing something
    risky.

    Steven Fisher, Nov 8, 2003
  15. No need for that...I have been working for a Certified Apple dealer :)

    Paolo

    Paolo G. Cordone, Nov 9, 2003
  16. Roger

    David C. Guest

    I run Retrospect (http://www.dantz.com/) for my backups.

    At first, I backed up to DVD-RW media in my DVR-104 SuperDrive.
    Today, I back up to an Exabyte VXA-1 tape drive.

    Everything gets backed up, including the system. (But I don't bother
    backing up the /tmp directory, caches, or trashes.)

    With Retrospect 5.0, you can't restore a bootable system. You have
    to reinstall MacOS, and then restore everything over the new
    installation.

    With the new version (5.1), you are supposed to be able to boot the
    Retrospect CD and restore the entire system from there. I haven't
    yet upgraded to this version, but I plan to, since that feature is
    something I really want.

    -- David

    David C., Dec 1, 2003