How do you install more ram when there are no more slots left?

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by trumpetboi_28, Aug 14, 2006.

  1. Ok, i have 2--- pc2700 256 mb ddr333 1 bank 32mx8 ram thing. and i want
    to get 512 mer ram but both my slots r fild up!!! What do i do?

    trumpetboi_28, Aug 14, 2006

  2. Its really not that complicated. You have to take one out and replace
    it !!!

    So if you take out one of your 256Mb sticks and replace it with a
    512Mb stick you will have 768Mb in total.

    May be I have missed something in the question, as it seems bloody
    obvious - so repost if I missunderstood.

    Cheers

    Justin Thompson, Aug 14, 2006

  3. trumpetboi_28

    Ben Myers Guest

    You install more RAM by first removing the RAM that is already there. If you
    want to "add" 512MB, first subtract 512MB by removing 2x256MB to get to ZERO MB.
    Then install either 2x512MB or a single (more expensive) stick of 1GB memory...
    Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 14, 2006
  4. Yes, but i called a computer store and they said you had to have 2 of
    the same amout of ram like<2*512> or wtvr cuz it will slow ur comp
    down........ is there like a way to make more slots in your mother
    board?

    trumpetboi_28, Aug 14, 2006
  5. trumpetboi_28

    Ben Myers Guest

    1. If your computer has an Intel 845 chipset on the motherboard, you can install
    two DDR DIMMs of different capacities without any problems, plain and simple.
    The computer store person is full of bullshit. The same is true for many other
    major motherboard chipsets, including VIA chipsets. Exceptions: The Intel 865
    and 875 chipsets require matched pairs of DDR DIMMs installed in up to FOUR
    memory slots. Same with the Intel 850 chipset and RAMBUS memory.

    2. "is there like a way to make more slots in your motherboard?" You can't be
    serious! Of course not! The only practical way to get more memory slots in a
    motherboard is to replace it with one having more slots. Now then, if you had
    access to the motherboard circuit design, plus access to design technology of
    your own, plus world-class surface-mount and wave soldering equipment, you MIGHT
    be able to add more memory slots to the motherboard if you had enough time and
    money. But I digress... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 14, 2006