How do you remove the coin battery from an ASUS K8V SE motherboard?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Ant, May 14, 2007.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Either I suck or this thing is stuck. I am seem to remove the battery
    from the motherboard to reset its CMOS. The manual doesn't say how to
    remove the battery from its socket. I think I see the latch, but can't
    seem to make it work to remove the battery.

    Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "I've been on some fairways that are as good as the greens we putted on
    back then. We had crab grass. I remember one green where I putted
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address:
    ( ) or

    Ant, May 14, 2007

  2. Is it this type of holder?
    http://s04.imagehost.org/0426/k8v_se_huge.jpg

    The metal clip should just pull back until its "teeth" let go and
    the battery pops out.

    MasterBlaster, May 14, 2007

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Yeah, that holder. I pull the teeth back, but the battery doesn't seem
    to pop up out of its socket. I can see it moving if I press it so I
    think it is being popped off. :( I also tried tweezers but still can't
    grab the battery to remove.
    --
    "The constant creeping of ants will wear away the stone." --unknown
    /\___/\

    Ant, May 14, 2007
  4. Ant

    Ant Guest

    And I assume it is done like this:
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/img/battery.jpg
    which I can't seem to do. Battery does not pop up.
    --
    "It doesn't matter what your D&D manual says, you did not get 5
    experience points for killing the giant ant in your kitchen." --BBspot's

    Ant, May 14, 2007
  5. Well, with that style, you push the battery so it slides to the far end before
    the near end pops up. You seem to have the kind with just the springy teeth
    at one end, so pulling it back (or squeezing it open with some pointy pliers)
    should let the battery come out. Sometimes it's a really tight fit.
    Keep trying. I'm off to Mom's house now.

    MasterBlaster, May 14, 2007
  6. Ant

    GHalleck Guest

    One can give it a little bit of assist by using the tip of a very
    fine screwdriver, i.e., a jeweler's. Gently insert between the edge
    of the battery and the holder. When pulling back on the latch, use
    the screwdriver to gently pry loose the battery. (BTW, make sure
    there is sufficient room around the battery area to do it right.
    If needed, remove the peripheral cards. Also, having long, strong
    fingernails also helps in bending back the latch.)

    GHalleck, May 14, 2007
  7. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I tried again with an old tweezer. I finally got it out. It was
    difficult! I hope I didn't break my video card since I tweezer hit it on
    when I holding the latch. :(
    --
    "You know what you are Earl? You're a little, tiny, busy ant. You too,
    Mike. Both you guys, with your mortgages and your term life insurance

    Ant, May 14, 2007
  8. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I tried again with an old tweezer. I finally got it out. It was
    difficult! I hope I didn't break my video card since I tweezer hit it on
    when I holding the latch. :(
    --
    "Why eat ants when an uncle will do?" --Tymoutta Aardvarka of Sarcastica
    /\___/\

    Ant, May 14, 2007
  9. A screwdriver will probably short the battery. Try something
    non-metallic (a toothpick will work if nothing is stubborn or stuck).

    Barry Watzman, May 14, 2007
  10. Ant

    Ghostrider Guest

    If the battery did not pop out, a toothpick is probably not strong
    enough. But so long as the sides of the battery well is made of
    plastic or nylon, the screwdriver should not hurt. But I do like the
    idea of a strong, fingernail. Perhaps one of those artifical ones
    from the cosmetic counter may work and should be a part of one's tool
    kit for battery removals.

    Ghostrider, May 14, 2007