    mjs Guest

    What does a reboot do to the card that a manually dispatched signal
    couldn't?

    mjs, Nov 22, 2007

  2. mjs

    mjs Guest

    And regularly, too, while using Sonar. Been doing it to me ever since I was
    on the original 16 bit Gina. At least twice a week.
    It's not.
    Right, but it's not. :)
    It doesn't.
    7. But it happened on all versions, with all of my Echo cards.
    All of them, but currently 7.x (latest one)
    Fully-patched XP.
    Just playing back.
    Ain't no way I'm starting to look in THAT haystack.

    Guess I'll just accept that I'm stuck with the problem. This will be my last
    Echo card. Thanks anyway.

    mjs, Nov 22, 2007

  3. mjs

    Sue Morton Guest

    Do you have the option "share drivers with other apps" checked in Sonar?

    Sue Morton, Nov 22, 2007
  4. Well, it re-boots it. When it's got into a state where logical
    instructions have ceased having effect.

    Laurence Payne, Nov 22, 2007
  5. mjs

    Mike Rivers Guest

    It completely resets the hardware and software (driver). I reiterate:
    If you can't talk to the card, you can't send it a "manually
    dispatched" signal. And if you could send it a "reset" signal, you
    probably wouldn't need to reset it.

    But all of this is just speculation, based on how I think hardware is
    supposed to work. Some of it does, some of it doesn't.

    Mike Rivers, Nov 22, 2007
  6. mjs

    mjs Guest

    But when you reboot, your CPU isn't physically walking off the motherboard
    and out of the casing to go push something on the soundcard... whatever it's
    doing, it's still a signal being sent, isn't it?

    Why can't that signal be sent manually, and only to the sound card? I mean
    technically, a reboot *is* a manual resetting... the only problem is that it
    resets everything. Why wouldn't it be possible to do that exact same thing
    but target only the sound card, without rebooting the system?

    I'm no techie, just trying to apply normal logic.

    mjs, Nov 22, 2007
  7. mjs

    mjs Guest

    Yep.

    mjs, Nov 22, 2007
  8. Sometimes you just need the Big Red Switch.

    Laurence Payne, Nov 22, 2007
  9. mjs

    Scott Dorsey Guest

    The soundcard isn't what is being reset, so much as the driver for the
    soundcard.

    On some advanced computer systems from the sixties and seventies, you could
    send a signal to a device driver and cause it to re-initialize while the
    system was running, but Microsoft hasn't come up to that level of technology
    yet.

    The REAL solution, of course, is to write drivers without bugs so they don't
    lock up.
    --scott

    Scott Dorsey, Nov 22, 2007
  10. mjs

    Scott Dorsey Guest

    Nahh...

    1:18PM up 303 days, 18:23, 92 users, load averages: 1.37, 1.74, 1.74
    --scott

    Scott Dorsey, Nov 22, 2007
  11. mjs

    Sue Morton Guest

    What happens if you uncheck it? Does the Gina still lock up?

    Sue Morton, Nov 22, 2007
  12. mjs

    Sue Morton Guest

    I don't think the 'reboot' is so much of a 'signal', as a power off of the
    hardware device, causing it to perform a hardware reset/reinitialization.

    Sue Morton, Nov 22, 2007
  13. mjs

    Mike Rivers Guest

    The thing is that you don't know what's actually hung up. It could be
    the sound card hardware, or it could be the driver. By rebooting, you
    clear almost everything. By powering down before rebooting, you
    actually do clear everything.
    Oh, I suppose you could write a program that would talk directly to
    the hardware (bypassing the driver) but people just don't DO that any
    more.
    Depends on how the operating system talks to it. The Windows Task
    Manager can be used to force a program to close (most of the time)
    even when the program isn't responding to normal input, so it does
    essentially what you're asking about, but with software, not hardware.
    Have you ever tried Task Manager to see if there's something you can
    shut down that would clear your sound card?
    Me, too, but apparently we're applying it differently.

    Mike Rivers, Nov 22, 2007
  14. mjs

    Les Cargill Guest

    According to this:

    http://pinouts.ru/Slots/PCI_pinout.shtml

    A15 is a reset pin, so there's not a good reason the card cannot be
    reset from the host.

    Les Cargill, Nov 22, 2007
  15. mjs

    philicorda Guest

    Yes, you can do this with normal PC hardware.

    The PCI bus #RST line is held high for 100ms and the hardware resets.
    Same as rebooting. I think bus power can be toggled using power
    management too, as if the computer was being suspended.

    The only problem is that this resets all the PCI hardware, as the #RST
    line is normally shared. It's also tricky to do while the system is
    running.

    As long as *all* your PCI drivers are written to allow error handling,
    reset, suspension of IO and reloading firmware etc, this will work fine.

    I bet you it's the driver that's gone crazy rather than the hardware
    though.

    philicorda, Nov 22, 2007
  16. mjs

    Mike Rivers Guest

    Oh, so there's a way to do it, but it probably won't work. Ain't that
    just like a computer?
    Chances are if the one giving the trouble were written to withstand
    that abuse, it wouldn't hang up. <g>

    Mike Rivers, Nov 22, 2007
  17. mjs

    Sue Morton Guest

    You have a point, who has a utility that can access A15 and interrupt power
    to it?

    Sue Morton, Nov 22, 2007
  18. mjs

    Les Cargill Guest

    I am not aware of one.

    Les Cargill, Nov 23, 2007
  19. mjs

    mjs Guest

    No idea. I kinda need it checked. :-S

    mjs, Nov 26, 2007
  20. mjs

    Sue Morton Guest

    Why do you need it checked, in order to test this?

    Sue Morton, Nov 26, 2007