How do you reset Spotlight?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-, Jun 3, 2005.

  1. A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?

    -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-, Jun 3, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <> wrote:

    > A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?

    I'm not sure, but if you go to the spotlight preference pane, you should
    be able to check all the items you want displayed. Then, Spotlight
    should automatically index you hard drive(s).

    --
    Dave Fritzinger
    Honolulu, HI

    David Fritzinger, Jun 3, 2005

  3. In comp.sys.mac.system -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- <> wrote:
    > A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?

    I'm sure I read somewhere recently actually, the way to do
    this is to add your entire hard drive to the "Ignore" list
    in Spotlight preferences, and then remove it.

    --
    *--------------------------------------------------------*
    | ^Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool^ |

    Heath Raftery, Jun 3, 2005
  4. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry, Jun 3, 2005
  5. In article <d7oqmk$4su$>,
    Heath Raftery <> wrote:

    > I'm sure I read somewhere recently actually, the way to do
    > this is to add your entire hard drive to the "Ignore" list
    > in Spotlight preferences, and then remove it.

    This works. There are also terminal commands, but this is as easy as anything.

    --
    John Rethorst
    jrethorst at post dot com

    John Rethorst, Jun 3, 2005
  6. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    J Stewart Guest

    In article <d7pfn6$75p$>, Jerry
    <> wrote:

    > > A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?
    > >

    > Try: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26973
    > Jerry

    In terminal -

    sudo mdutil -E /

    This will delete the existing index and cause Spotlight to re-index
    your startup drive in the background. You can also re-index other
    drives by using their names i.e. /Volumes/MacHD.

    If Spotlight isn't indexing something you think it should you can cause
    it to add to the index by using mdimport i.e.

    sudo mdimport -f /System

    This would cause Spotlight to add the System folder which it doesn't
    normally index. Use this with caution as Spotlight apparently has a
    limit on index size and indexing your entire hard drive quickly exceeds
    that limit. Note: importations aren't permanent, if you re-index, you
    will need to re-import and I don't believe the import will be routinely
    updated.

    Please refer to the applicable man pages before using either of these
    or any of their associated commands.

    Use ROT-13 on the email address for email replies

    J Stewart, Jun 3, 2005
  7. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    Tim Lance Guest

    In article <>,
    "-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <> wrote:

    > A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?

    Make invisibles visible.

    Trash the folder named .Spotlight-V100.

    Reboot.

    Go for burgers.

    Tim Lance, Jun 4, 2005
  8. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    "-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <> wrote:

    > A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index?

    From the Terminal enter:
    sudo mdutil -E /
    followed by your administrator password. See 'man mdutil' for
    additional details.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Tom Stiller, Jun 4, 2005
  9. Thanks folks and Evan,

    command line