    It is apparently in the startup file. How do I get rid of it - other than
    deleting the application. Thanks.

    Bill

    Bill, May 23, 2005

  2. http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Nick Cleevely, May 23, 2005

  3. Bill

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    That depends on what 'the program' is.

    If it's a virus or spyware, only antivirus or antispyware software can help
    you.

    If it's a legitimate program, you have three options:
    1. Open the program and go through its menus until you find the selection
    that starts the program with Windows;
    2. Check your Startup folder and remove the shortcut to the program if you
    see one there; or
    3. Contact the program's author.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, May 23, 2005
  4. Before you go download a startup manager, you can try msconfig.
    Depending on the type of program, it's likely going to be contained in
    the last two tabs (it will most likely be under Startup unless it's a
    Service).

    Nicholas Andrade, May 23, 2005
  5. Bill

    Curious Guest

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Curious, May 23, 2005
  6. Bill

    no_one Guest

    Go to www.winpatrol.com download Winpatrol. This free program allows
    you to control what program can start. It also does a number other
    control items as well. But in addition it offers a lot of registry
    protection. If a program trys to modify the registry Winpatrol will
    stop it and pop up a window telling you what is going on and asking it
    you want to OK the change. One place I find this invaluable is during
    a new program install. It seems everyone want to have a spot in the
    system tray. After a while it is half way across the screen. During
    the installation Winpatrol will ask if you want that, just say no and
    carry on with the install. I have this program running on all of the
    computers on my network.

    Bill

    no_one, May 23, 2005
  7. William P. N. Smith, May 23, 2005
  8. Bill

    David Nimon Guest

    You forgot option 4. Run msconfig and disable the program in the startup
    tab.

    David Nimon, May 24, 2005
  9. Bill

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    No, I didn't forget "option 4". The System Configuration utility was
    designed for troubleshooting. You can temporarily disable startup items and
    then re-enable them one by one if you suspect that startup items are
    interfering with your computer's operation. The System Configuration Utility
    was not intended to be a permanent solution.

    Removing startup items with msconfig interferes with the otherwise normal
    startup process. The correct way to to prevent something from starting is by
    using the three options I provided. The alternative is to uninstall the
    program, if possible.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, May 24, 2005
  10. I've never ran into problems controlling startup programs in the long
    term with just msconfig (although I definitely agree the first step is
    to check the program itself).

    However your step 2 only lists one (and probably the least common) place
    where programs can be called to startup from. People also ought to
    check (but be aware this is in the registry and if you don't know what
    you're doing you can seriously mess things up):

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    HKEY_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    Also be sure to check Services (Under Control Panel -> Administrative
    Tools in XP Pro, I'm not sure about Home). You can also control
    services from a command prompt (sc --help for more info).

    Nicholas Andrade, May 24, 2005