How do you tell iPhoto not to load for iPhones, but load for otherdigital cameras?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, Oct 1, 2012.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello!

    Is there a way to tell Mac OS X (10.5.8 and 10.8.2)'s iPhoto not to
    launch for iPhones, but allow to launch for digital cameras? I know
    iPhones have cameras, but they are not good as higher end digital cameras.

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Ants are so much like human beings as to be an embarrassment. They farm
    fungi, raise aphids as livestock, launch armies into wars, use chemical

    Ant, Oct 1, 2012

  2. Ant

    JF Mezei Guest

    Architecturally, I believe so. But don't know how to make it happen. I
    needed to do the reverse.

    In the past, the Nikon would cause Yahoo Messenger to launch for some
    unexplained reason. iPhone would not.

    I added the "Default apps" system preference panel, and set "Camera"
    media type to launch iPhoto and that got both the iPhone and Nikon
    Camera to goto iPhoto.

    JF Mezei, Oct 1, 2012

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    You know what's weird? IPhoto launches, but not iTunes with iPhone. Weird.
    --
    "Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Oct 1, 2012
  4. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    Yes, but it is in an obscure place.

    Run the Image Capture application.

    While the device in question is connected, there is an area in the left
    column which can be used to configure which application is launched to
    import images when that particular device is connected. (You can choose
    "None").

    You can set this differently for each device.

    Note that iTunes being launched when you plug in an iPhone, iPad or iPod
    is a separate feature, controlled via iTunes.

    David Empson, Oct 1, 2012
  5. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    As I said, that is a setting in iTunes. "Open iTunes when this iPhone is
    connected" on the Summary tab for that iPhone (which you can only see
    while the iPhone is connected to iTunes, either via WiFi or USB).

    That setting is independent of whether to launch anything to input
    photos, so it is not hard to have them set differently.

    David Empson, Oct 1, 2012