    I downloaded it, didn't I.

    I thought "innovation" was supposed to go the other way. I noticed
    Davoud complaining about a similar innanity.

    Nelson, Sep 6, 2009

  2. And what happens when something is downloaded without your knowledge?

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 6, 2009

  3. Nelson

    Király Guest

    Try this. It works in Leopard. Dunno about SL.

    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071029151619619

    Király, Sep 6, 2009
  4. Nelson

    Burt Johnson Guest

    Excellent link -- thanks! Just tried it, and then downloaded a file I
    am pretty sure would have triggered the warning and got no warning. I
    like it!

    (A full test would be to download the same file twice to two different
    folders and see if the folder is truly now protected I guess. Maybe
    I'll get around to doing that later today to verify)

    Burt Johnson, Sep 6, 2009
  5. Ouch! I'd agree that would be annoying. I had a hard time finding any
    sympathy with the complaint that it asks you on the first launch. I just
    figure that as part of the installation process - a pretty trivial part.
    Heck, if we want to shortcut all the annoyances, might as well install
    anything that tries. I mean I wouldn't have gone to the web site if I
    didn't want its stuff, right? :) We know where that path leads.

    But to nag you every time you run it instead of just the first, I agree
    that would be a bitch. I suppose this is where I have to confess to the
    sin of normally running as a user in the admin group. :-(

    I haven't looked, but your comment about suid makes me wonder if there
    is a command-line (aka "Terminal" to many here, but to me Terminal is
    just an app to allow you to get to the command line) way to set the
    flag. That would me more anoyong than just th eone-time click, but a lot
    less annoying than having to click it on every start. Since you mention
    suid, I'm guessing that you at least are not completely scared at even
    the sight of a command-line prompt (as a few here seem to be).

    Richard Maine, Sep 6, 2009
  6. Nelson

    Ian Gregory Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
    You must be a n00b because this has been asked and answered here
    numerous times. Being a helpful kind of guy I will give you a clue -
    read "About file quarantine in Mac OS X v10.5 and v10.6"

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3662

    The feature has been around since Leopard but has been extended in Snow
    Leopard so that not only does it ask for confirmation when you first
    open a file with the quarantine attribute set, it also checks the file
    for known malware.

    There are methods of disabling the feature and now you know what it is
    called you should be able to find them fairly quickly using Google. I
    leave that up to you though - I would rather not give explicit
    instructions on how to shoot yourself in the foot.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Sep 6, 2009
  7. Nelson

    Ian Gregory Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
    Only the user that downloads a file can remove the quarantine attribute
    but once it has been removed then all users can open the file without
    getting a warning. Where is the flaw?

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Sep 6, 2009
  8. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    That's the same logic that has us all taking off our shoes to get
    through security at the airports.

    Nelson, Sep 6, 2009
  9. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    I'm sure the Vista apologists use the same argument. It's inconvenient
    to _me_ and it's _my_ computer and _my_ risk if I want to take it.
    Frankly I'm more worried about Google and Facebook spyware than
    unknowingly downloading a file and then unknowingly opening it. Hell,
    if I were that clueless, I'd probably open it in spite of the warning
    :)

    Nelson, Sep 6, 2009
  10. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    Nelson, Sep 6, 2009
  11. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    Well excuuuuuse me.
    I skipped Leopard, so I never saw it before. Actually, Panther is
    starting to look better all the time :)

    Nelson, Sep 6, 2009
  12. And those benefits are?

    Dave Balderstone, Sep 6, 2009
  13. Nelson

    Burt Johnson Guest

    Oh, I will! I am pretty organized about what I download and run.

    Besides, when was the last time you heard about a viable Mac virus?
    Maybe when they start coming out, I will change my position on this, but
    for now, that dialog is just a Vista-ish nuisance.

    And... I have never heard of such a dialog preventing anyone from
    getting hurt anyway. I know people who run Vista. Perhaps they are a
    self selecting group (since what knowledgable user would ever choose
    Vista???), but these people just blindly press the "go ahead" button on
    every dialog and don't bother to even read them, let alone understand
    them.

    this, this dialog only slows down the damage by the duration of a
    mouse-click, and stands in the way of most of their work.

    Burt Johnson, Sep 6, 2009
  14. Nelson

    Burt Johnson Guest

    I didn't know my mother was your client?! :)

    Burt Johnson, Sep 6, 2009
  15. No problem there; they solved that matter by adding "except by consumer".
    Just don't try to remove them from someone else's furniture, or you'll be
    in big trouble.

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 6, 2009
  16. You FOOL! You're going to kill us ALL!

    ;-)

    Dave Balderstone, Sep 6, 2009
  17. Nelson

    Alpha Guest

    The fury from all types over the UAC in Vista has led to Windows 7...with a
    prominant ability to set levels of such nonsense down to zero if wanted.

    Alpha, Sep 6, 2009
  18. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    Exactly. This kind of "warning" is a meaningless "feel good" security
    blanket. Most viruses these days are transmitted by "Human
    Engineering", eg "click to download the (trojan) codec to play this
    file" or "click to open this email attachment", or by phony "warez", eg
    some of the recent Snow Leopard torrents. In both of those cases, the
    user knows he has downloaded it so notifying him of that is kind of
    pointless... other than to "me too" Microsoft's approach.

    Browsers download files I don't explicitly know about all the time.
    That's how they work. Somebody please give me a credible example of
    how a Browser could download an executable without me knowing it and
    _then_ trick me into launching it in such a way that I get that lame
    warning which then deters me.

    Bottom line: it doesn't protect the people who need to be protected
    from the things they need to be protected from and just annoys those
    who don't.

    Nelson, Sep 6, 2009
  19. You are warned when you launch something downloaded from the web. If
    it's something you know about, no big deal, just hit return. But if
    it's NOT...

    Howard S Shubs, Sep 7, 2009
  20. Scripts.

    Howard S Shubs, Sep 7, 2009