    launch something nasty to you w/o your knowledge. That's the point.

    If you want Apple to give you the ability to skip the warning, that's
    your call.

    Howard S Shubs, Sep 7, 2009

  2. Sorry, I still want to know what JR thinks the benefits are...

    A warning? Big fucking whoop.

    Dave Balderstone, Sep 7, 2009

  3. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    [snip]

    Well, I looked at it and it's an AppleScript Folder Action that only
    works on your "Downloads Folder". What "Downloads Folder"? Apple is
    now telling me where I have to download things? Somebody's drawers are
    too tight.

    I download everything to my desktop, so I guess I'm f*&^%d... oh, I
    mean "protected".

    Nelson, Sep 7, 2009
  4. No; you get to tell the OS where the downloads folder is. And if on any
    given download, you do not tell it where to download to, it will then
    download to the Downloads Folder that you specified as the default.
    I think that looking in the mirror will tell you whose they are.

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 7, 2009
  5. Nelson

    Warren Oates Guest

    I kind of agree with your sentiment, JR, but you're being a bit smug.
    My computer is _mine_ to do with as I see fit, it doesnae belong to the
    greater community of them-as-knows-better. Wait ... there's more. Since
    there are no "botnets" involving Macs, it's therefor no ****'s business
    but his own what he chooses to disable or download, I'd say.

    Warren Oates, Sep 7, 2009
  6. Nelson

    Warren Oates Guest

    NO! That's really dangerous! You're the kind of guy, I bet, only applies
    the shampoo ONCE, am I right?

    Warren "no user-serviceable parts inside" Oates.

    Warren Oates, Sep 7, 2009
  7. So attach it to your Desktop folder instead...

    Dave Balderstone, Sep 7, 2009
  8. It's important to understand that JR is approaching things from a
    sysadmin point of view. In that world, HE owns your computer and you
    are a mere "user".

    djb

    Dave Balderstone, Sep 7, 2009

  9. eg:

    #!/bin/bash
    while sleep 10;
    do xattr -d com.apple.quarantine ~/Downloads/*;
    done

    save it as eg. ~/bin/foo
    then chmod 755 foo
    run with

    ~/bin/foo &

    or use apple script for that.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter J. Nachtigall, Sep 7, 2009
  10.
    Richard Maine, Sep 7, 2009
  11. If you really want to disable this, see this article

    http://theappleblog.com/2008/03/26/disabling-launch-services-file-quarant
    ine/

    You can find other articles on the topic by googling "os x quarantine".

    Barry Margolin, Sep 7, 2009
  12. That gives you a chance to stop it if you didn't know it was launching.
    THAT is the benefit. OTOH, if it happens more than once, I can
    understand the annoyance.

    Howard S Shubs, Sep 7, 2009
  13. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    Thanks. Looks like people have been struggling with this since
    Leopard. Since I skipped Leopard, it never showed up on my radar
    screen. The article describes another folder action script technique
    which I suppose works if you always download to the same folder.

    The more I think about this, the more of a pointless, cosmetic
    annoyance I think it is.

    I think I'll look at writing a plugin for Firefox which un-quarantines
    things automatically.

    Nelson, Sep 7, 2009
  14. Huge struggle! You've already spent more time whinging about this than
    several years worth of clicking "OK" would have cost you.

    John McWilliams, Sep 7, 2009
  15. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    Actually that one demonstrates the weakness of your argument. It
    doesn't download itself. The user must request the download. Given
    that, of what possible value is a warning that it was downloaded? What
    would have been useful was a warning _not_ to download it in the first
    place.

    Nelson, Sep 7, 2009
  16. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    The time isn't an issue. The constant irritation is.

    Nelson, Sep 7, 2009
  17. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    You have not provided a credible example. Merely asserting that a web
    page _could_ do this begs the question. That which can be asserted
    without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

    Let me help you out. As an example, if a web page were to download an
    executable which overwrote an existing application, then I could see
    how I might launch it unknowingly and how the warning might stop me.
    But I can conceive of no feasible way a web page could do this without
    my knowledge and even if, for the sake of argument, I postulate that it
    _could_ be done, I can just as easily postulate that the evildoer would
    overwrite the "quarantine" flag also.

    The issue here is not safe computing which I am all in favor of. I use
    Little Snitch, a firewall, FlashBlock, and do not download files from
    untrusted sources. What I object to is foolishness masquerading as
    safety.

    Nelson, Sep 7, 2009
  18. Each morning prior to waking your computer, vow to be serene.

    Good luck.

    John McWilliams, Sep 7, 2009
  19. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    No, that is not what I am suggesting. I am suggesting that it can't
    download an executable file into a place where I will see it and
    execute it _without_my_prior_knowledge_ of the download.

    Nelson, Sep 7, 2009
  20. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    But if the item is in their download folder presumably they know they
    downloaded it, n'cest pa? Hence what is the value of reminding them?

    C'mon. Just admit that you're wrong :) It's not that hard and it
    builds character :)

    Nelson, Sep 7, 2009