    If you really want this dialog, fine. I have no problem with you having
    it. But let it be an option that can be turned off for those of us that
    do not want it.

    Burt Johnson, Sep 7, 2009

  2. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    So do I. You were the one who specified the download folder. The fact
    remains that wherever I downloaded to, I was aware that I was doing it.
    I don't need nanny Apple reminding me of it.
    Well, since you have moved from "It's an innovative security feature"
    to "it's not completely useless", I'll guess I'll settle for that :)

    You may have the last word.

    Nelson, Sep 7, 2009

  3. Nelson

    Ian Gregory Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
    By the same argument, when you empty trash it is because you want to
    empty trash, so why does it warn you and ask you to confirm? Because it
    is irreversible and if the warning saves you from accidentally deleting
    something vital even once then the benefit far outweighs the
    inconvenience.

    Opening a downloaded file can also be irreversible because it might be a
    script that deletes your home directory or emails pornography to your
    boss. The quarantine attribute is a good thing (like taint mode in Perl)
    and most people do not find it annoying. For those users that have a bee
    in their bonnet and can't control their irrational anger I suppose Apple
    could provide a per user configuration variable that causes the
    quarantine attribute to be ignored.

    As it is, such users just have to set up a folder action to
    automagically remove the quarantine attribute from files they download -
    no big deal.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Sep 7, 2009
  4. Nelson

    Guest Guest

    and it very clearly shows up in the download window. it's *impossible*
    for a web site to download something covertly.

    plus, if open safe files after downloading is unchecked (which it
    should be but i think the default is for it to be on), even if
    something is downloaded, it won't do anything.

    Guest, Sep 7, 2009
  5. and it very clearly shows up in the download window. it's *impossible*
    for a web site to download something covertly.[/QUOTE]

    If you happen to notice the download window.

    Hey, JR, would it be possible for the site to close the DL window?

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 7, 2009
  6. But you can disable that confirmation dialog.

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 7, 2009
  7. Nelson

    Warren Oates Guest

    There's a Finder preference to turn the trash warning off, though. I
    keep mine on, and use the option key when I'm sure of myself (or rm in
    the terminal).

    Warren Oates, Sep 7, 2009
  8. Nelson

    Warren Oates Guest

    I don't think a website could do such a thing, but Firefox (for one) has
    a preference to _not_ show it. I keep mine on. You can also specify what
    content is handled by what app or plug-in.

    Warren Oates, Sep 7, 2009
  9. Nelson

    Guest Guest

    If you happen to notice the download window.[/QUOTE]

    there's nothing anyone can do about people who are oblivious.

    Guest, Sep 7, 2009
  10. Nelson

    Ian Gregory Guest

    I suspected you might be able to but I have never felt inclined to look
    into it. Same with warnings based on the quarantine attribute - I didn't
    know that there wasn't an easy way to disable them because I never
    bothered looking for one. No matter how little security benefit they
    provide, the inconvenience is so minimal that I just wouldn't bother.

    It might make sense for Apple to provide a way to disable the warnings
    on a per user basis (just to stop people whining) but the quarantine
    attribute itself is useful in other ways - for example it is the basis
    of the new light weight malware detection system in Snow Leopard.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Sep 7, 2009
  11. Nelson

    Nelson Guest

    [Snip]
    I would be interested in knowing if you have any data to back up that
    claim.

    Look, Apple pioneered and has made it's reputation on "user friendly"
    human interfaces. It is _not_ user friendly to ask 100% of the time a
    question that _at best_ the user will answer differently 1% of the
    time. It is an annoyance, albeit a small one; and, granted, most
    people just take in stride. But the total experience is made of these
    little atomic experiences. And Apple is headed in the wrong direction
    and in more cases than just this. I wouldn't be surprised if this even
    violated their own user interface guidelines.

    Why is Windows perceived to be a less friendly system? Any individual
    fault is trifling taken in isolation, but the totality of the
    experience is mind numbing.

    If Apple wants to get out in front of security, they should do it in
    the innovative and brilliant way we have come to love and expect from
    them... not by copying some heavy handed, blunt force tool from
    Microsoft - one that that they have even made fun of in their "I'm a
    Mac" advertisements.

    Nelson, Sep 7, 2009
  12. Nelson

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Well, I did (using Safari) and while I got:

    /Users/xxx/Downloads/oops.dmg: com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms:
    00000000 62 70 6C 69 73 74 30 30 A2 01 02 5F 10 2D 68 74
    |bplist00..._.-ht|
    00000010 74 70 3A 2F 2F 6A 6F 6C 6C 79 72 6F 67 65 72 2E
    |tp://jollyroger.|
    00000020 6B 69 63 6B 73 2D 61 73 73 2E 6F 72 67 2F 61 75
    |kicks-ass.org/au|
    00000030 74 6F 2F 6F 6F 70 73 2E 64 6D 67 5F 10 25 68 74
    |to/oops.dmg_.%ht|
    00000040 74 70 3A 2F 2F 6A 6F 6C 6C 79 72 6F 67 65 72 2E
    |tp://jollyroger.|
    00000050 6B 69 63 6B 73 2D 61 73 73 2E 6F 72 67 2F 61 75
    |kicks-ass.org/au|
    00000060 74 6F 2F 08 0B 3B 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 01 00 00
    |to/..;..........|
    00000070 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    |................|
    00000080 00 00 00 00 00 63 |.....c|
    00000086

    I got *NO* warning when I mounted the image file and the contained file
    has no "com.apple.quarantine" metadata. Where does that leave us?

    Tom Stiller, Sep 7, 2009
  13. Nelson

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Correction: It's impossible for a website to download something covertly
    if the user has a well-designed browser and he/she hasn't (or the
    browser builders haven't) changed the options to something stupid.

    Wes Groleau, Sep 7, 2009
  14. Nelson

    Guest Guest

    there's nothing you can do about stupid people. if they choose to
    ignore all indications that something is being downloaded and also
    automatically type in their password because that's just what you do
    when that box pops up, then so be it. unfortunately, there's a lot of
    people like that.

    Guest, Sep 7, 2009
  15. Nelson

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Yeah, but shouldn't I have gotten a warning when I mounted the .dmg file?
    What you showed was that using Snow Leopard and the latest version of
    Safari, it's possible to download and mount a disk image without being
    asked if one wanted to open the file.

    Tom Stiller, Sep 7, 2009
  16. Nelson

    Wes Groleau Guest

    In my Tiger and my Panther, a disk image that contains an application
    gets a warning. A disk image containing an installer (or just data)
    does not.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    "But, Professor! I didn't plagiarize! I paid someone to
    write the essay for me, and that person plagiarized!"
    -- from http://rateyourstudents.blogspot.com

    Wes Groleau, Sep 8, 2009
  17. Yes, it provides protection in case someone manages to download
    something without telling you. Perhaps you think what you downloaded is
    some music or pictures, but it contains an executable to unpack them and
    do a few other services to you.

    Walter Bushell, Sep 18, 2009
  18. Should be, but is it. Lots of money for people who can download an
    applications behind your back.

    Walter Bushell, Sep 18, 2009
  19. One more barrier for the pirates to cross.

    Walter Bushell, Sep 18, 2009
  20. Please use standard quoting :)

    Also I never continue to get the quarrantine message on my standard
    accounts *curious look*

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 12, 2009