    wake your Mac from sleep? I find myself just pressing the space bar if
    no mouse is involved, say on my Macbook (trackpad doesn't do it).

    Rog

    Roger, Jul 26, 2007

  2. Roger

    Gerry Guest

    Enter/Return key especially if the computer is in very deep sleep and
    hasn't had its morning coffee.

    Gerry, Jul 26, 2007

  3. Roger

    Eric Lindsay Guest

    Shift key (although any modifier key would do). Shift is a large target,
    and probably can't do any harm no matter what state you left the Mac in
    when you sent it to sleep.

    I don't like using any key that might modify an open document, hence I
    wouldn't use the space or return keys.

    Eric Lindsay, Jul 26, 2007
  4. If the system is asleep, I use the spacebar (under OS 9.2.2 and OS X).
    The system never sleeps unless I tell it to. If only the display is
    asleep, I move my trackball just slightly. The display sleeps after
    fifteen minutes of inactivity.

    - E

    Eric P. Peterson, Jul 26, 2007
  5. Roger

    Guest Guest

    When I had the roller-ball type mouse, just sitting in the chair was
    enough to move the mouse slightly and wake it up. I could impress
    visitors by saying 'computer on" as I sat down.

    Guest, Jul 27, 2007
  6. Apple/Splat key. I guess I never trusted that the first keypress was
    ignored/trapped.

    Clever Monkey, Jul 27, 2007
  7. It's a good idea not to have any documents open, or volumes selected,
    during sleep.

    - E

    Eric P. Peterson, Jul 27, 2007
  8. Roger

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    I just click a button on the Marble Mouse, which is of course right next
    to the keyboard, and has much larger buttons for hitting when bleary
    eyed in the morning (or late at night).

    Andy Hewitt, Jul 27, 2007
  9. For the reasons given elsewhere, I have always just tapped one of the arrow
    keys. Then if my Mac has gone to sleep while I am in the middle of
    something, I know no harm will be done.

    Sally Thompson, Jul 27, 2007
  10. Roger

    Tim Streater Guest

    Perhaps not but I use the shift key just in case. This always works.

    Tim Streater, Jul 27, 2007
  11. I was always apprehensive about leaving anything open for too long
    during periods of inactivity, expecting Murphy's Law to assert itself.
    Though I've never lost data as a result, I've had my share of
    sleep-related issues over the years, going back as far as System 7.x. If
    people have confirmed that it is safe, with modern systems, to leave
    things in such a state, perhaps the vulnerability I've perceived is
    nothing more than a monster in the closet ;)

    For me, having the Mac sleep is to give the system a rest, and to
    conserve power, for those times when I'll be away from the computer for
    more than half an hour, but not for a day or more.

    A chaqu'un son gout ;)
    Happy computing,
    Eric

    Eric P. Peterson, Jul 28, 2007
  12. Roger

    Roger Guest

    Roger, Jul 28, 2007
  13. I don't. The kitten on the keys does tho.

    Well it a change from his uncle pissing in the keyboard and taking out
    one of the USB ports innit?

    The Natural Philosopher, Jul 28, 2007
  14.
    Eric P. Peterson, Jul 28, 2007
  15. Roger

    Rick Jones Guest

    A third (?) vote for shift.

    rick jones

    Rick Jones, Jul 31, 2007
  16. Should that key be considered the safest one to use, or among the
    safest, to wake the system?

    - E

    Eric P. Peterson, Jul 31, 2007
  17. I never put mine to sleep. The screen saver comes on after 20 minutes,
    and the screen goes to sleep after 45 minutes. But neither the computer
    nor the hard disk is ever put to sleep.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 31, 2007
  18. I always do a shutdown when I'm done working on my MacBook for the
    day.
    I also unplug everything in case of a lightning strike on the power
    lines.

    --- Brian

    brian.b.mcguinness, Jul 31, 2007
  19. When I'm away for more than two days, I set the computer to run from
    about 2:30 am to 6 am, and to fetch email once an hour during that
    period. It also does the nightly maintenance, and runs a backup at 5.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 31, 2007
  20. Roger

    Roger Guest

    Yeah I have mine take out the garbage and feed the dog also.

    Rog :)

    Roger, Jul 31, 2007