How does Gigabyte do its naming

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Gorby, Feb 13, 2008.

  1. Gorby

    Gorby Guest

    I'm a newbie to gigabyte motherboards. So far I have had no problems
    with the board. I have a P35C-DS3R.

    My prior motherboards have been ASUS. And I was able to understand what
    the naming of a motherboard meant.

    Please correct me if I am wrong!

    P35C-DS3R

    P35 relates to the Intel P35 chipset. I'm happy with that.
    I have no idea what the C means.
    DS3 - seems to be able to use DDR3 RAM

    then the R on the end? What does that mean?

    This is my first foray into Gigabyte Motherboards, and so far I am quite
    happy.I was having very tricky problems with my old ASUS board using
    Vista, so they swapped the motherboard. My problems seemed to go away.I
    would like to how things go.

    Gorby, Feb 13, 2008

  2. Gorby

    Marcus Coles Guest

    GA Gigabyte
    P35 Chipset
    C Combo of memory slots
    D Durable - Solid Capacitors
    S3 Speed, Smart, Safe
    R RAID

    Marcus Coles, Feb 13, 2008

  3. Gorby

    Gorby Guest

    Excellent!
    Thanks.

    Gorby, Feb 13, 2008
  4. Gorby

    Onsokumaru Guest

    Is that on their website?

    I have wonderes in the past. It's quite annoying when they tack advertising
    blurb into the code of a product.

    Onsokumaru, Feb 14, 2008
  5. Gorby

    me/2 Guest

    :>Gorby wrote:
    :>> I'm a newbie to gigabyte motherboards. So far I have had no problems
    :>> with the board. I have a P35C-DS3R.
    :>>
    :>> My prior motherboards have been ASUS. And I was able to understand what
    :>> the naming of a motherboard meant.
    :>>
    :>> Please correct me if I am wrong!
    :>>
    :>> P35C-DS3R
    :>>
    :>> P35 relates to the Intel P35 chipset. I'm happy with that.
    :>> I have no idea what the C means.
    :>> DS3 - seems to be able to use DDR3 RAM
    :>>
    :>> then the R on the end? What does that mean?
    :>>
    :>> This is my first foray into Gigabyte Motherboards, and so far I am quite
    :>> happy.I was having very tricky problems with my old ASUS board using
    :>> Vista, so they swapped the motherboard. My problems seemed to go away.I
    :>> would like to how things go.
    :>
    :>
    :>GA Gigabyte
    :>P35 Chipset
    :>C Combo of memory slots

    To clarify, has both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM sockets.

    :>D Durable - Solid Capacitors
    :>S3 Speed, Smart, Safe

    And S4 adds Silent-Pipe to the mix for some models.

    :>R RAID

    Are you sure about that one? My P35-DS4 definitely supports RAID since
    I'm using it. Note there is no "R" at the end of the model number.

    me/2

    me/2, Feb 14, 2008
  6. Gorby

    Marcus Coles Guest

    It may or may not be originally from their website somewhere.
    I picked it up from a web review that attempted to explain their board
    naming methods.

    I find their methods of naming better than the manufacturers who call
    there boards such things as "Master Gamer Monster Ninja Pro" and then
    one has to hit the spec sheets where half the items are listed as
    "option" and there is no indication of the option codes.

    Marcus

    Marcus Coles, Feb 14, 2008
  7. Gorby

    old man Guest

    Nither does mine have an "R" but it has two raid controllers
    Nor does it have any memory ref.

    old man, Feb 14, 2008
  8. Gorby

    DMJ Guest

    In the DS3 line the R stands for Raid, as opposed to the DS3L which
    doesn't support Raid. The DS4 line is different. I believe only the
    DS3R line supports both DDR2 and DDR3 memory, in the 'C' models.

    Clear as mud? :)

    DMJ, Feb 15, 2008
  9. Gorby

    Onsokumaru Guest

    Maybe, but "Speed, smart, safe", doesn't say much.

    A company is hardly likely to say "30% chance of failure!"

    ;-)

    I was just reading where some boards now have "PCIe 16x (at 1x)" listed,
    meaning the board has a long PCIe slot for PCIe cards, but only runs at 1x
    speed! Why the feck put the 16 in there... arrggh!

    Onsokumaru, Feb 15, 2008
  10. Gorby

    Mike G. Guest

    One other piece: E before chipset designation, e.g. EP35, designates a
    board using their 'Dynamic Energy Saving' technology. Here's a link to
    check out. About half way down the article is a chart that gives a
    decent overview and perspective on their current line-up of boards.

    http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/gigabyte_ga_p35c_ds3r_znakomimsya_s_ddr3/

    Mike

    Mike G., Feb 18, 2008
  11. Gorby

    SKJoy2001

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Can someone explain the naming of GA-P35-DQ6 mainboard?

    SKJoy2001, May 8, 2008