How does speed control work on Antec case fans?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Doc, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. Doc

    Doc Guest

    I just got a couple of Antec Tricool fans. One is a 120mm with a 3-speed
    switch, the other is an 80mm with no speed switch. Unfortunately, the
    packaging contains no documentation. Anyone familiar with these?

    Both of these have a lead for sensor pins on the mobo.

    My mobo only has 1 such set of pins marked "case fan" that I've found, so I
    currently have the 120mm fan connected to it. What's not clear to me is how
    the speed switch and control socket interact. Does the 3-speed switch
    override the mobo speed control or will the fan speed change within a range
    at any of the speed settings?

    What's the difference between how the the 80mm fan (no speed switch) will
    behave depending on whether it's connected or unconnected to the sensor pins
    on the mobo?

    Thanks

    Doc, Jul 27, 2006

  2. Doc

    johns Guest

    I never hook them to the mobo. Reason is sometimes
    fan alarms in the BIOS are set to rpms, and your speed
    control will hit that lower limit. What I do is use an
    external speed control ( get them at local game pc
    shop ), and control the speed down until I can't hear
    the fan .. or at least very quiet, and then I watch the
    video card and cpu temps. If they are OK under stress,
    then I assume the speed is fine, and let it go. I'm running
    my cpu fan at 600 rpm like that, and I have no heat
    problems doing it. I think my video card fan is around
    1400 rpm, and it idles at 33 degrees, and maxes at
    48 in games. Case fan is about 2400 rpm. Psupply
    fan is also about 2400 rpm ... very quiet.

    johns

    johns, Jul 27, 2006

  3. Do you have a recommendation for a fan controller?

    http://www.xpcgear.com/ledcontroller.html

    Do any of these stand out to you, for instance?

    I intend to use one on my next build, but it's an area where it's hard to
    find hardware reviews. It seems to be the way to go to get the fans to a
    sweet spot where you minimize noise, but maximize cooling.

    ~e.

    visions of effty, Jul 27, 2006
  4. Doc

    johns Guest

    Zalman Fanmate 2 is fine. I have 2 of them in
    my system .. 1 on cpu .. 1 on video card. I did
    hook the one for the cpu to the mobo fan
    connect, and it worked because the BIOS was
    geared to go nuts based on temp .. not rpm.
    I did read that note that came with them warning
    about the rpm alarm. Zalman is good stuff.

    johns

    johns, Jul 27, 2006
  5. Doc

    cannonfodder Guest

    Antec recommends that if use the motherboard to control the 120mm fan
    then it should be left on the fastest setting. The low setting reduces
    the voltage and if the motherboard reduces this further then your fan is
    in danger of stopping altogether.

    I leave mine on the lowest setting plugged into a molex. Works a treat
    and cannot hear it running.
    Use the motherboard to control the speed of your 80mm fan.

    cannonfodder, Aug 4, 2006